c/h header tank over flowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my daughter c/h header tank is over flowing and its not due to a sticking ball cock or the vent pipe over the tank thats causing the problem. It only happens when she puts the timer switch to H/W only and it would seem that the filler pipe at the bottom (as if there was a back pressure) of the tank is forcing water back into the tank. If she turns on a hot water tap the o/f pipe stops leaking. Its a 2 pump system, the cylinder stat controls the hot water pump and the boiler stat controls the C/H pump. this problem has only occured in the last couple of days. Doe's anyone have any ideas as to why.The rads have TRV's on them and there are 2 rads ( without TRV's) on the hot water system.

Sponsored Links
Could be a split coil in the cylinder but would expect it to be constantly overflowing and filling vent pipe rather than cylinder cold water feed which is under gravitational pressure where the vent is under none. 2 pumps? what boiler/system do you have? can you explain a bit further?

no its not comming from the vent pipe or ball cock, its comming from the filler connection at the bottom of the tank. its a oil fired open system. the bungalow at one time had a coal fired back boiler which fed the rads and the hot water cylinder and the previous owner had it taken out and a free standing oil fired system put. And Like I said the over flow pipe only leaks when she put on the hot water. I drained down the system completely, flushed everthing out during the winter months as the house was empty and i was doing a lot of work on the house befor she moved in in february.What I did notice when I checked the tank a couple of days ago was that there was a froth like substance floating on the top of the water. when i refilled the system up I put in a rust inibiter in the system.

sounds like the coil if it filling the f/e tank from the feed pipe at the bottom of the tank.

shut the gate valve in the airing cupboard on the supply pipe from the cws to the bottom of the cylinder.

if its the coil gone you useally find the cws will be emptying and f/e tank filling.

Sponsored Links
I did have my suspisions that it might be the coil in the hot water cylinder but I was hoping some one would prove me wrong :cry:

Sorry, ch tank is feed and expansion, header tank is hot water, got me confused.

if that system is getting hot water return to the f/e tank and your not going over till next week i hope she isn't using it.

Hi again, I know what you are saying but like I said earlier it only over-flows when she puts on the hot was of a night so that she can bath the children and the amount that comes out is about half a gallon, and once she starts running the hot water it stops and after the children have had their bath she turns the hot water off. At the most the hot water is only on for about 1 hour a day. All her appliances are cold fill. O and by the way one thing that is puzzelling me at the mo is if the coil has gone should'nt it discolour the domestic H/W, thats not happening. :confused: one thing that I for got to mention is that the system does not have any motorised valves and this may be the reason way the water is coming out or am i wrong.

see todays reply, plumber came turned on the hot taps and said no its not the coil, if it was the coil the hot water would be contaminated, fitted a new ball cock in the fe tank (emptied most of the water out to reduce the level) and after 3 days the problem came back suprise suprise. and he charged her £75 and said its now ok. She got back onto him and his reply was that it must have developed and other fault. And that she would have to pay for an other call out

sounds like your talking about the cws not the f/e tank.
the larger one of the two overflowing.

O no I'm not. it is the f&e tank i/e the smaller one of the two. The larger one fills up the hot water cylinder but I quess you know that :) it would appear that he did'nt even try two turn off the supply to the cylinder to see if the water level would drop as other forum users had suggested.

no not yet, I fell off a ladder a few weeks ago cutting my hedge and only now being able to walk. I will have to sort it out soon befor they start using the ch ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back