cable for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 9.5 KW shower to put in but to run a 100mm cable would mean lifting carpets and floorboards in 3 room to get it anywhere near the fuse box and was wondering could i tap into the heating boiler fuse switch which is 13 amp then to a RCD consumer unit with a 40 amp MCB then to the shower?

Sponsored Links
i have a 9.5 KW shower to put in but to run a 100mm cable would mean lifting carpets and floorboards in 3 room to get it anywhere near the fuse box and was wondering could i tap into the heating boiler fuse switch which is 13 amp then to a RCD consumer unit with a 40 amp MCB then to the shower?

Your post clearly identifies that you don't understand very much regarding electrical loads- please employ someone who does !

A 9.5kw shower divided by 230v gives a load of 41 amps. So how you 'think' tapping in to a 13 amp circuit will help is beyond sensible comprehension.

Depending on cable run length and method of installation (surface clipped, buried in plaster, in insulation etc) I'd suggest a 10mm cable as an absolute minimum- it may well be a 16mm cable.

Sponsored Links
i have a 9.5 KW shower to put in but to run a 100mm cable would mean lifting carpets and floorboards in 3 room to get it anywhere near the fuse box
That's what you'll have to do, then.

How do you plan to carry out tests on the circuit before putting it into use?

Have you worked out that the capacity of 10mm² cable will be OK given the installation method which will apply, and any other de-rating factors?

And that volt-drop will be within limits?

Do you know the rules for concealed cables?

Ditto RCD protection?

Ditto supplementary equipotential bonding?

Ditto accessories and appliances in bathroom zones?

Have you checked that your earthing and main bonding is up to scratch?

Have you applied to your local council's Building Control dept for approval yet?

Of all the circuits in the house, this is the one to get done properly!

All said and done it will probably cost little more than you would pay for a good powershower to have a local electrician instal the new circuit, RCD protect it, check your current earth and notify building control.

Could go very wrong with a shower!

CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back