Cable in bathroom extractor point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My bathroom has an electric shower but no extractor fan, only a plastic vent.
I took the vent down yesterday and was surprised to find an electric cable in there, twin and earth type.

Thinking i could install an extractor fan instead but i had no idea if the cable was live or not.

I tried attching a normal light to it, and either switching the other light in the bathroon or shower on did nothing to the new light.
I tried with a multimeter and it registered 0.180v which fluctuated a bit when the shower was on.

Any ideas what i should try next ? Or is this normal and an extractor fan work just fine on it ?

Many thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
First time used a multi meter am afraid !

I did it on this cable and it measured .180v, so i unscrewed the hall light, and that measured 42.8v

Cheers

What conductors are you measuring between?

It should be either live (red or brown) and neutral (black or blue) or live and earth.
On a normal energised circuit you would expect around 230/245v for both tests.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine the other end will be somewhere such as in the loft awaiting connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back