Cable in steel conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice ban-all-sheds in another post mentioning that you shouldn't fill conduit or trunking more than 45%, IIRC.

Does this mean the 1.5mm T&E (and 1mm 3C & E) in the steel conduit that holds my lighting circuit is dodgy?

Uh oh. And I thought my electrical jobs were over :(

Looks like I'd better go and work out the area of the conduit versus the cable. Pi R Squared blah blah.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
What size of conduit is it?

If it is a properly designed conduit system, you could install singles into it.

ryanj said:
What size of conduit is it?.
1/2 inch

ryanj said:
If it is a properly designed conduit system, you could install singles into it .
Very true. But given the low wattage, is likely to be unsafe?

I can deal with the embarrassment of a badly designed system but not an unsafe system...

i think the 45% is only a guideline and i think its partly to make pulling the cables in easier

also bearing in mind that in a lighting cuircuit the breaker reating is usually at least a factor of 2 smaller than the cable rating its really not something i would worry about

Sponsored Links
Ah, now that's the answer I want to hear Plugwash :LOL:

A temporary respite before I get the p**s taken out of me by my sparky colleague who's going to test the system... :oops:

diyhell said:
A temporary respite before I get the p**s taken out of me by my sparky colleague

well dont tell him its 1/2 inch conduit then (it doesnt exist) its probably 20mm.
the space is nothing to do with pulling in cables, its to do with heat disipation. it allows air to be able to circulate around the cables, if they were compressed they would get very hot / melt.

a similar thing is an extension lead it should be used fully unwound if used for its amx rating, if not it will melt / get warm

av seen worse. 2 2.5mm t+e in 20mm steel conduit... and only wired into a school last year. b/c of it, it had to be re-wired again

15mm :oops: must have been thinking of the copper tubing in which I ran the 10mm2 cooker radial :LOL:

breezer said:
the space is nothing to do with pulling in cables, its to do with heat disipation. it allows air to be able to circulate around the cables, if they were compressed they would get very hot / melt.

Precisely. A sort of guard against "grouping".

circulating water around the cables would be much better for cooling them than free air. Never heard of water cooled computers?

you would have to be carefull about the insulation material though some things don't respond well to constant immersion

yep. Isn't that why they filled supply transformers with PCP oil? Doesn't conduct. Just highly poisonous and practically indestructible.

(think it was PCP? anyway, definitely poisonous)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back