Cable jointers, a risky job!

I'm going for HT licence next!!! My father used to do it, in the old days.

He used to tell of stories when he would hold the cable between his legs live at 400k and prepare the cable for jointing.

He also used to remove live cables prior to replacement, shovel and pick!!!

One of the lads despite being told to take it easy went straight through the runway lights cable at a RAF base with the pick!!

Blew him clean out of the trench boots smoking apparently and pick still in hand (re cartoons).

Lived to tell the tale, was given a cup of tea before getting back to it.

He is still alive, about 80 now, dad slipped away a few years ago,

My mother used to have to lift the cable ends in to the loft for a 'rainy day'

Sponsored Links
Your dad sounds like he was a "proper" jointer, Like the chaps i remember, when cable jointing involved copper and lead plumbing, and all sorts of other skills. When one 33kv joint would take 24hours to complete and they used to fill a bucket on a burner with TEA and just dip the cups in when they wanted a brew........or standing in a joint hole ankle deep in water jointing a live main........Nowadays its a different trade, different set of skills etc etc.... but the same dangers are there with respect to the amount of energy that the LV network can feed into a fault. Changing CUT-OUTS especially.....the incoming cables a jointed straight onto the main from the S/S. Thats why to a JOINTER the LV network is probably more lethal than the HV. ALL HV work is done dead, isolated and Earthed......using a PERMIT to WORK system.

i have a question, when changing cutouts do they have to replace the incoming cable or do they just strip the existing one?

RF lighting, can i ask you how old is that cutout on the pic and where is the fuse?

thanks

I suspect it depends on the situation, things like how much slack/spare space below the cutout is there and what condition the existing cable is in.

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure, but I'd guess the cutout is around 25 to 30 years old.

It was installed when the house was built, as was the CU which was a 4 way wylex. I think the estate is about that age. Definatly over 20 years anyway.

do dnos have a replacement programme for these cutouts? i'm aware that meters ar changed every 25 years or so.

would a customer be charged if the whole cable needs replacing with trench required etc etc?

No upgrade program for cutouts.

They will usually replace the cutout for free if it is an old cast iron one, or if it is leaking pitch or if it fails.

They will not replace the cable unless it fails (they pay) or you want it moving (you pay)

They might replace the cutout if you request an increased supply, but again, you pay.

efiste2, oh he was, I still have his tea burner!!! He used to keep pots of tea warm on the hob, killed god knows how many teapots he ruined!!

I also still have 2 of his sheathing knives, lovely pieces of kit that you just cannot buy now, he melted a solid rubber gaunlet onto the handle for that 'little extra protection'

RF is spot on, a cable change is the last thing they will do.......as depending on connection they will have to dig back to the main in the street......Rf is also spot on about them changing CAST cut-outs too. If they are reported the should be changed (thats what they used to teach us anyways). If your cut-out is old and you want it changing......we used to tell people to report they could smell burning tar from the meter cupboard, then they "should" come out and take a look and probably renew it.........I have to say though this was in the "good ol days" when the local REC "regional electricity company" was the ELECTRIC BOARD and not a DNO full of contractors governed down to the last penny!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back