Cable Reel Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of 25m 2.5 milli extension leads, one of which has a 16A connectors on either end. These leads have a dual purpose: they can be used on campsites or, with the addition of 13-16A and 16-13A adapters on either end, at home.

They are unruly and difficult to manhandle, so I'd like to buy a sturdy cable reel with a tubular frame to store it on.

I have seen a few on Amazon, but none seem to have a spinning piece on the winder which could get tedious.

Plus, I'm just wondering whether to attach a 16A socket to the reel or just leave the existing trailing 16A connector on the end.

What do you think?

Here's a cable reel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennenstu...v3Sz&pd_rd_wg=jepZP&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Mine works fine, not the same as the link but same basic principle. Each to their own.
Of course, we all have different ideas and different requirements.
I inherited several of that style and found them awkward to hold in one hand, wind with the other and try to get the cable tidy and tight. The stand type I can stand on the floor or a table, rest one wrist on the handle and let the cable run through my hand to control it onto the reel. Nice and tidy to take up minimal space, nice and tight to revent it snagging when being unwound and last but not least feeling the cable as it winds forms a significant part of the PAT everytime it's used.

As far as I'm concerned the stand type is so very much easier to use.

As Sunray, my world has many flightcases with up to 50m lengths of 3 core 2.5mm all hand coiled and taped - much easier especially if it is TRS (PVC flex doesn't coil as nicely). The other advantage of hand coiled is it is very easy to dress the slack rather than leave it on the drum & have an embarrassing overheating incident

if you have a metalwork fabricators anywhere near you pop in and ask if they have any empty mig wire reels going spare. tis what i use. the plastic reels usually just get binned anyway. the first reel linked to looked like good value if you decide to buy.

My wife bought two, looked great, but not used as one would not fit in the front locker box of caravan, the other would not take all the cable, they both said for camping cables, and for a caravan 25 meters of 2.5 mm² is what BS7671 says, so one would not expect there to be much difference in cable thickness, however it seems many cables sold for use in caravans are not 25 meters of 2.5 mm² even if that is what the good book says.

I simply load into locker box with figure of 8 so no twists when unloaded again. For home use again the cable reel does not work out very well, as I have to unplug cable to get it through the cable flap in the door,
99_69539_1529076117_a8aae1.jpg
but with it not on a reel if it rains I can pull it all in from inside.

My wife bought two, looked great, but not used as one would not fit in the front locker box of caravan, the other would not take all the cable, they both said for camping cables, and for a caravan 25 meters of 2.5 mm² is what BS7671 says, so one would not expect there to be much difference in cable thickness, however it seems many cables sold for use in caravans are not 25 meters of 2.5 mm² even if that is what the good book says.

I simply load into locker box with figure of 8 so no twists when unloaded again. For home use again the cable reel does not work out very well, as I have to unplug cable to get it through the cable flap in the door,
99_69539_1529076117_a8aae1.jpg
but with it not on a reel if it rains I can pull it all in from inside.
2 of which reels?

We fitted one of those cable flaps in a van, very good system except I could guarantee it would rain if the flap was pushed in rather than out.

You could always get one of those cheap hosepipe reels, they sit on the floor and have a huge capacity and should last a reasonable time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back