Cable runs with water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, we are having full re-wire and new Central Heating in cottage. 2 rsj's run pararell across room with 2" gap between. Electrician will not allow plumber to use the same runs. we have looked around and the only thing we can find is "BS 7671:2008 IEE wiring regulations 17th edition. regs point 528.3.2 :-
“Where a wiring system is routed below services liable to cause condensation (such as water, steam or gas services), precautions shall be taken to protect the wiring system from deleterious effects"
We cannot find anything that relates to running them adjacent to each other.

Why won't he let the plumber do this? have we missed something?

What precautions would the plumber have to take?

Sponsored Links
Thanks holmslaw, the cladding has already been removed and is below ceiling height. rsj's replaced original exposed oak beam. There is at least 4 to 5 inches between the inside of the I.

Sponsored Links
I am letting my wife loose on the electrician and his boss this week but wanted a bit more info first. God help them. If protection was required (for the cables not the electricians) what could be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back