cable runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am running swa cable to my summer house would 2.5 be large enogh for a 80 foot run

Sponsored Links
Yes....

crystal_ball_LG.jpg

No....

Maybe.

Sponsored Links
Seriously, the size of the load is vital info, not just regarding the absolute capacity of the cable but also the limits imposed by volt-drop.

And even when you've worked that out, unless digging out several tons of earth is something you'd do for pleasure, consider putting in a larger cable than you think you need right now in case you ever need more in the future....

Cable Type Twin and Earth SWA PVC SWA 3 Core
Underground
Circuit Type Non-Lighting Circuit Lighting Circuit
Ambient Temperature 15
Number of Circuits 1
Power 7000 Watts
Voltage 230 Volts
Length 30 metres

Required Cable Size 10 mm
Voltage Drop 3.47 Volts.
Percentage Drop 1.5%
Current Load 30.0 Amps
Max Cable Load* 31.5 Amps

That looks like a C&P from the TLC website, but I don't get the same results.

And BTW - I've not played with the new one, so I don't know if it has the same problem as the old one, but if you selected 3-core SWA that used to do 3-phase calculations - to get the right answers you had to pick 2-core, even if you were going to use 2-core...

Is the formula for your calcualtion on-line somewhere Chri5?

I reckon the SWA running to my garage (supplying a two, lights and sockets, breaker consumer unit) is only 4mm on a 20A breaker on the RCD side of my split consumer unit. Is this a concern? Was installed prior to me purchasing the house in 1995

It is indeed the TLC 17th ed new calc tool.

Go to TLC, click cable, click swa, click cable calc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back