Cable size

Is there an easy way to determine 1.0 or 1.5mm² cable or is it a case of getting the vernier out?
If it's relatively modern cable it might well have the size embossed periodically on the outer sheath - but you may well not be lucky enough to be able to see the appropriate part of the sheath! Failing that I'm afraid that it's the calipers or micrometer!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If it's relatively modern cable it might well have the size embossed periodically on the outer sheath

I usually find that the bit of the cable I can see happens to be a bit without the markings! Or it's clipped with the markings facing the joist or whatever.

Another option would be to get a scrap amount of known 1.0 / 1.5mm (go down to Wilkinsons for example) and compare to what you have. I usually find that side by side the difference between the two is fairly obvious.

1.5mm cable has a thinner earth wire (1.0mm), with 1.0mm cable all cores are the same size.

Another option would be to get a scrap amount of known 1.0 / 1.5mm (go down to Wilkinsons for example) and compare to what you have. I usually find that side by side the difference between the two is fairly obvious.

Yes I'd already thought of "borrowing" an inch or so!

1.5mm cable has a thinner earth wire (1.0mm), with 1.0mm cable all cores are the same size.

Excellent - thank you!

Sponsored Links
Which is why it makes no difference regarding the fault current compliance.
Hmmm. The fault current loop (hence the PFC) includes the L conductor, which, for the bit of cable in question, is 1.0mm² in one case and 1.5mm² in the other.

Kind Regards, John

If the CPC can handle it then so can the line.
Very true. However, whether the CPC can handle it is determined by a calculation which depends on PFC, which, in turn, partially depends upon the CSA of the line conductor. This calculation will therefore be different for 1.0/1.0mm² and 1.5/1.0mm² cables.

Kind REgards, John

But I've since found the FCU has been spurred off a nearby double socket in 1mm T&E.

The length of 1mm is less than 1M and it's buried in plaster - no conduit. I believe this is method C and so the 1mm cable can carry 16A?

<a quote from Davey>
Yes, I know it's all pretty silly because of the very short length of cable concerned, and that's one of the several reasons why I know what I would do (and not bother to do!) if we were talking about my own home. However, as I said before, the OP has been advised that it would, strictly speaking, be necessary to confirm that fault protection was adequate for the arrangement to be compliant - and it's not for me to suggest to him that such is not strictly true (because it is!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back