Cable through outside wall

J

johnsville

Taking two 2.5mm cables (ring) through and outside cavity wall and into the rear of an external weatherproof socket.

Does it need a sleeve in the wall?
or can it go through the wall without?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Cable through the rear of socket with silicon to prevent water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Caution if you use conduit sealed into the back of the outside socket and with the end inside the house left open to the air.

In cold weather moisture will condense out of the air inside the external socket and this then will draw more moisture through the conduit ( as water vapour ).

The socket housing should have a small hole ( may need to be drilled out ) to allow condensed water to drain out.

Caution if you use conduit sealed into the back of the outside socket and with the end inside the house left open to the air.
In cold weather moisture will condense out of the air inside the external socket and this then will draw more moisture through the conduit ( as water vapour ).
Indeed - and I've seen this happen.
The socket housing should have a small hole ( may need to be drilled out ) to allow condensed water to drain out.
That's one approach, but it always seems a shame (and probably 'non-compliant') to breach the IP protection of such a socket, even if the hole is small and in the bottom. An alternative is to seal the conduit at the house end as well, and maybe put a bag of silca gel into the socket box for good measure.

Kind Regards, John

You are supposed to drill a hole to allow moisture to drain out.

Some sockets such as MK have a specific place marked 'drain' where you are supposed to drill this hole.

A hole through the back of the swich at the bottom isn't really going to have any real effect on the IP rating.

You are supposed to drill a hole to allow moisture to drain out.
Some sockets such as MK have a specific place marked 'drain' where you are supposed to drill this hole.
Yes, I know, but I still think it's a 'shame'

A hole through the back of the swich at the bottom isn't really going to have any real effect on the IP rating.
No appreciable effect, I agree, but the significance obvioulsy depends to some extent on what IP rating we're talking about. The MK drill positions necessarily impinge to some extent onto the bottom surace as well as the back, and therefore will to some extent reduce protection against water jets. Indeed, as I'm sure you know, having told one to drill a 5mm hole (which is quite large), the MK instructions go on to say "opening the drain hole will reduce the IP rating; therefore ensure that jetted water is not directed at the unit". Whether or not the hole is acceptable therefore depends upon what IP performance/rating one is hoping to achieve.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back