Cable To Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I propose to install power in my garage. I will use SWA buried in ground half meter down. I will put in some type of ducting or conduit so that i can run other cables etc at later date if want to. Any suggestions on way to do this? Would a 90degree angle up from garage floor be nuisance when trying to pull in another cable? Should i leave draw tape in there?

Sponsored Links
2 x 45 s would be better, and yes, also run another pipe for telephone

The size of the duct depends on what size SWA you are planning to install. I used 4" soil pipe for the duct from my house to the garage, using 2no. 45° corners to get up through the garage floor. My supply is 3 core 16.0mm² SWA.

Definatly put in a good strong draw rope for future use. The standard is blue polypropelyne rope.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DR11673.html

As breezer said have you thought what else you may want to have in the garage? I have a network cable for the burglar alarm, and a co-ax for the TV to my garage.

Also lay some warning tape just above the duct, and then again about half way up the trench

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Necessities_Index/Electric_Cable_Below_Tape/index.html

Sponsored Links
Why run SWA in conduit? You could run duct next to SWA as well for additions.

How deep will foundations of garage be? Just thinking of how deep i'llhave to dig to get under them thats all

New2Game said:
Why 16mm2 SWA? 4mm2 Will be sufficient for a 40A Garage CU won't it?

cos we had a lump of 16.0mm² left over on a job. ;)

Also I have loads of heavy power stuff in the garage like my welders, compressor, theatre lighting dimmer supply, table saw, bench grinder, angle grinders, heater, chop saw, shed supply, 2 freezers, external lights, pillar drill, battery chargers etc.

Personally I would fit 6.0mm² for a 40A supply

4mm From TLC states 42A so surley that'll be ok won't it? Its only for 2 Sockets, a light and secuirty light. What type of light fitting would you recomend? Are Batterns with standrad Bulbs ok in garage?

What is the length of the run from the house to the garage?

My regs only rate 4.0mm² SWA at 38A when installed to reference method 1

How big is your garage?
I would think a non-corrosive flourescent fitting would be better than a batten holder

How deep will the foundation be on garage though? As i'll need to dig deeper that them to get SWA in won't I?

Depends on what sord of garage it is.

Mine is pre-cast concrete panels and just sits on a 6" concrete slab.

If you get your duct in before the footings are poured it shouldnt matter though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back