cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a new shower and want to identify what size of cable is installed. How do i convert the thickness of the cable to it\\\'s size i.e. 10mm / 6mm etc. and which part of the cable do I measure, with insulation, or just the copper core?

thanks

Sponsored Links
steevo said:
I am looking to install a new shower and want to identify what size of cable is installed. How do i convert the thickness of the cable to it\\\'s size i.e. 10mm / 6mm etc. and which part of the cable do I measure, with insulation, or just the copper core?

thanks

10mm T&E has a stranded earth, 6mm T&E has a solid earth. 10mm is about 17mm wide and 6mm is about 13. that any help?

The size of a cable refers to the cross-sectional area of the main conductors, i.e. 6mm², 10mm² etc.

The TLC website lists typical O/D of cables.

Also, 6mm² usually has a solid earth, 10mm² has stranded.

What rating is the MCB/fuse?

ban-all-sheds said:
Also, 6mm² usually has a solid earth, 10mm² has stranded.
emphasis on the usually. Given what fwl has said recently i wouldn't be trusting measuring the earth as a means of identifying the CSA of the main conductors.

Sponsored Links
if you can bend the cable without a pipe bender then its 6mm... :p
ever tried to bend tight radius's in 10mm?

:(
(follow the guys above advice tho)

Shouldn't be bending at less than 40mm radius, or 70mm if you're doing it across the flat direction...

Hello all,

I've just seen this thread as i wanted to ask exactly the same question and everyone has gone off on a complete tangent :rolleyes:

I would like to know what 4mm cable means? What eactly is the 4mm? I'm guessing this is the diameter of a cross section of the wire? Is that right?

I've checked the internet and they all seem to go on about Pi!! I Pi is used to calculate area, perhaps the 4mm is not as simple as the diameter?

Who can give me a simple answer without talking about bending bars!! :)

Thanks, Steve

CSA means cross sectional area. Pi times radius=area.
4.00mm =4.00mcsa. Exactly what it says on the tin.

Cross sectional area can't be measured directly we need to use some maths but it will result in:-
2.5mm² = 1.784124116mm diameter
4mm² = 2.256758334mm diameter
6mm² = 2.763953196mm diameter
10mm² = 3.568248232mm diameter
16mm² = 4.513516668mm diameter
Using =2 * POWER(A1/PI(),0.5) in excel. Or =PI()*POWER(B1/2,2) to convert other way around.
However in the main we are looking at insulation as well using data given on manufacturers web sites like this one with Batt Cables we see the outer dimensions. But it will vary between manufacturers and cable types.
I would normally try to fit Red, Blue, Yellow or other marked terminals or butt connectors Red = approx 1.5mm², Blue = approx 2.5mm², Yellow slack = 4mm² tight = 6mm² then on marked on bare connectors.
I think to try using a vernier to measure between 2.26 and 2.76 is a little too hit and miss. Also to work out if PVC or LSZH is hard unless written on the cable and 4mm² LSZH will carry near the same current as 6mm² PVC. Unless found on cable I would assume PVC.

Modified for Taylortwocities although I think to not auto read the ² one has to be a bit thick. I have no ² key so have to write in Word and transfer I suppose next I'll be picked up on not leaving a space between number and mm?

Just a sanity check.

And I'm not trying to be smart here, but PLEASE stop saying

2.5mm
or 10mm

a cable size is given as 2.5mm² or 10mm² etc
it is the cross sectional AREA of the copper conductor.

otherwise it is like saying the floor area of a room is 2metres, it makes no sense.

If you say the floor area of a room is 2m² then that is a proper measure.

That is 4 metres squared. eg a space 2 metres by 2 metres, or variations of....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back