cable

I will find that when i go to the wholesalers tomorrow morning and ask for a roll of 2.5 twin and skin, i will get what i want

Sponsored Links
So 7/0.35 should not really need an explanation that it refers to 7 cores of 0.35 mm² it should be self evident. As a lad I would often refer to 14/0.012 cable and now without looking up not a clue if the 0.012 was in mm² or inches² got a feeling the latter.
Eric, with respect I think you are at risk of totally confusing people. The second part of the 14/0.012 you referred to as a lad was not in either mm² or inches² , because it was the diameter of the strands - and, to this day, the 'd' of the S/d format of specifiying a stranded cable refers to diameter, not CSA.

Kind Regards, John.
Then clearly we do need to put ² or Sq when we mean that. Not used it for years since 1980's

I will find that when i go to the wholesalers tomorrow morning and ask for a roll of 2.5 twin and skin, i will get what i want.
Of course you will, just as the builder will get what (s)he wants when asking for 'a yard of sand', or the chippy when asking for a length of 'four be two". All trades and professions have their sloppy/'slang' jargon, and it works fine within their own circles. It's when trying to communicate with the wider public (like in a forum) that it becomes more important to use the correct terminolgy.

Kind Regards, John.

I will find that when i go to the wholesalers tomorrow morning and ask for a roll of 2.5 twin and skin, i will get what i want.
Of course you will, just as the builder will get what (s)he wants when asking for 'a yard of sand', or the chippy when asking for a length of 'four be two". All trades and professions have their sloppy/'slang' jargon, and it works fine within their own circles. It's when trying to communicate with the wider public (like in a forum) that it becomes more important to use the correct terminolgy.
Especially when replying to a question of what the measurement actually is.

Sponsored Links
When I was an apprentice my grandad used to say get me the sevens, or the threes out of the van ?????????????????
What is that you may ask, well lets see how many older sparks out there know what I mean !!!!
Dave

I am looking to install a new shower and want to identify what size of cable is installed. How do i convert the thickness of the cable to it\\\'s size i.e. 10mm / 6mm etc. and which part of the cable do I measure, with insulation, or just the copper core?

thanks

Poor old steevo he waited 6 years to ask a question and even im confused what the answer is :)

Poor old steevo he waited 6 years to ask a question and even im confused what the answer is :)
I think you can probably forget steevo, whose problem was presumably solved several years ago. Happyhippydad effectively started a new thread, with a new question, yesterday (albeit by tagging on to the end of that 2005 thread) - and, as for the answer(s), they are all in the wiki.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back