cables in cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read several old posts ref running power cables in the cavity of conservatory dwarf walls as they are being built - and the fact that is not acceptable -. With current regs, is it acceptable to run them inside oval trunking in the cavity? I will not be bridging cavity

Sponsored Links
i'd use round conduit with proper elbows and singles, otherwise the wiring will be almost impossible to replace later.

not sure about the building regs issues, it may be that although the cavity is not actually bridged it would be considered as reducing its width (presumablly there is a standard width for cavities).

another option would be to use MICC, which should be thin enough to hide in the mortar joints.

I had a 'Part P' qualified electrician to wire my conservatory earlier this year and after a little discussion, it was generally accepted that the wires need to be in plastic conduit with elbows ets down to sockets such that the cable doesn't touch the insulation.

Initially he said he would have to run around the edge of the walls, under the floor (ceramic tiles) and come up via the mortar joints! I told him in no uncertain terms 'NO WAY!!' and after a phone call or two for advice, he agreed to the above and gave me a certificate. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back