how to run cable in solid wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum,
How to run a cable in a solid inner wall made of masonry with cavities?

-first I had to use 25 mm sockets boxes otherwise I hit the cavity in the block, which make my life hell connecting cables in the box

-second I used oval conduits because they are very thin (12 mm or less) but they are very difficult to keep in place when I cement them.. should I use self adhesive trunking like
Tower Self Adhesive Mini Trunking 25mm x 16mm x 2m (64026) or else? What's the best practice of running cables in (old sixities) thin masonry blocks with cavities?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
No, don't use trunking.

Throw that oval conduit away, then use this, you can either use flat T+E clips to hold it in place, or screw, plug + washer.

You can use oval conduit, but as you've found, it's a pig to fix to the wall. If you're back to brick and no plaster, you could use some galv band strap across it to fix it.

I'm guessing, rather than 'cavity', what perhaps you mean in 'hollow block' :?:

If that is the case, I find if you can position the box on the seams - either horizontal or vertical - there's a lot more 'meat' to chisel into.

Alternatively, if you've opened up into the hollow block, throw a load of stiff-mix sand & cement in. Leave it to set (yes I know it's all time) and then you've got that to fix to.

Sponsored Links
No, don't use trunking.

Throw that oval conduit away, then use this, you can either use flat T+E clips to hold it in place, or screw, plug + washer.

You can use oval conduit, but as you've found, it's a pig to fix to the wall. If you're back to brick and no plaster, you could use some galv band strap across it to fix it.

Shouldn't be any need to discard the oval tube - some galv plasterboard nails or similar hammered into the joints (or red wall plugs drilled into the blockwork) will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back