Easiest way to fix mini trunking to plaster wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure one of you clever people can give me an answer to this - I'm using 25 x 16 self adhesive mini trunking onto a conventional plaster and block internal wall, but from past experience know that some additional fixing is sometimes necessary.
I've used masonry nails in the past, but is there a better or easier solution?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, chasing the wall and concealing the cable is, of course, a better solution ;)

Never used the self-adhesive stuff, but when I have used trunking I've drilled and plugged the wall and used screws.

Agreed. The self adhesive may adhere for a while, but it does come unstuck. Position the trunking with the adhesive strip, but run a few 1" screws and plugs in.
Be sure you aren't drilling into a wall area where cable, pipes etc reside!

Sponsored Links
Or it can go the other way, and the adhesive becomes one with the plaster, and pulls huge chunks off the wall when you come to remove it years down the line

Thanks guys. I know ideally the cable would be chased into the wall, but this is at my mother in law's care home and it's just to take an extension cable up over a doorframe. The management there are happy with the cable being put inside mini trunking so it can't be a tripping hazard across the doorway.............. but accidents can happen, you know.....:whistle:..............

You get clips like this
safed30.jpg
that go inside the trunking so the cables will not fall out if there is a fire, the sticky back is just to hold the trunking while you fit the clips, however I have used decorators caulk in the past as the sticky back looses its grip so the caulk dries and takes over and the trunking does not fall off the wall in normal use, however it would not comply with the new regulations at the moment only for escape routes it will I am told some time this year cover all trunking.

Just read the route yes you must use the clips inside trunking as going over a door way, forget about caulk.

Thanks, ericmark and ban-all-sheds - this is useful info. Helps to solve the possible problem of the trunking adhesive weakening over time as well. :)

.... this is at my mother in law's care home and it's just to take an extension cable up over a doorframe. The management there are happy with the cable being put inside mini trunking so it can't be a tripping hazard across the doorway....
Thinking slightly laterally ....

... Are you talking about a standard 'plugged in' extension cable and, if so, is the plan to use mini-trunking for essentially for aesthetic reason (in addition to supporting the cable)? If so, could the cable not simply go through eyelets or somesuch screwed into the edge of the doorframe (particularly if this is or might be a fairly temporary situation)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back