Cabling under sheet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just moved into a property built approx. 25 years ago. He wants to divert a Sky cable which runs around the skirting to the other end of his lounge.
Ideally he would (with my help) like to raise the flooring and hide the cable. However he has found that the flooring is sheet board (hence why the CH pipes are visible.
Have you got any advice how you can create traps to gain access to the void underneath to push through a draw wire (or similar) and hide the cables.
Any advice welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to locate your floor joist, you can set a circular saw at the depth of your flooring sheets, normally around 18mm. It would be ideal to run the cut to the centre of the floor joist, this could mean removing screws and nails if possible.
Then cut out a suitable sized trap.

Thanks for that but how do you run the circular saw near to and beneath the skirting which I assume the board runs under.

Sponsored Links
you don't, you can't, but would it necessary to do this?
You are attempting to make traps/openings so you can feed/draw/pull cables through.
For your cables to run beneath the floor, I assume the cables will at some point run vertically behind the skirts.
So either you can remove skirts or make access for cable to go behind them, this may involve removing some of the wall surface and drilling a hole downwards.
Then if you have made a suitable opening in a nearby spot you can pull it through, either be reach or using cable rods or draw wire/tapes.
It would be hard to determine how close the nearest or most suitable location is for the openings, without being there and identifying the locations and the way your joist run.
The fact it is sheets rather than the standard floorboards really does not make such a big difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back