Cabloe size installing a hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an electric oven and seprate grill and gas hob and want to replace the gas hob with an elictric one
the current cable installed is on a 16A mcb and I can not determine the cable size if it is a 4mm2 or 6mm2 all that is printed on it is 300/500V basec is there anyother way of telling the cable size?
It currently comes from the consumer unit and is terminated on the wall like a juction box then another cable comes out then goes to a switch then to the oven.
I am planing on replacing the current switch with a cooker outlet and then conecting the hob and oven to that and upgrading the mcb to 32A is this ok

Total powe consumption is 11Kw which is 48A using diversit the total needed will be 25A

thanks

Sponsored Links
there's a table somewhere in the wiki that gives dimensions ( general ) for various T+E cables sizes..

if in doubt, rip it out..
put in a nice new 10mm² cable straight from the breaker to the cooker switch, then on to the cooker connection unit..

since the breaker change is Part P notifiable anyway then you might as well change the cable to get value for money..

Hi
We do not have any mains gas in the village i live and the HOB is off bottled gas. Where the gas bottle is located it does not look very nice on my decking

thanks

Sponsored Links
Serious question - bottled gas must of course, be more expensive than mains gas. But by how much? And does the extra cost mean that using electric becomes cheaper? ;)

Hi
I think it is about £40 for 19KG bottle not sure it has been a while since I ordered it. It is more expensive.

The main reason for doing it is not due to cost is that the bottle is on my decking and it does not look good.

I also have gas fire in the living room and the heat from that is not good so that is getting replaced by a wood burning stove also the gas bottles for that are in an encloised space so do not meet regs and to much hassell to move them

I also do not like the thought of so many gas bottles about the house

yeah get one of those clever tanks they advertise on the telly.. they'll burry it under your decking and it calls for it's own refill when it gets low..

yeah get one of those clever tanks they advertise on the telly.. they'll burry it under your decking and it calls for it's own refill when it gets low..
Really? What channel? :LOL:

Anyway, I dont blame the OP for not wanting gaz bottles everywhere. They are ugli. And theres always the threat of running out (the latest ones from calor for garden gas have a gauge on them though)

Is 19kg one of them big tall jobbies like on varacans? Or the ones you use for BBQs and patio heaters?

Anyway, completely off topic here, perhaps we should start advising the OP about his electrical installation! If he wanted gas advice he'd be in the plumbing dept! :LOL:

Hello BAS,

I take it that you have no opinion of the Plumbers' Forum here?

Lucia.

Calor do a free survey for siting tanks above or below ground, there is plenty of info on their web site to initially see if its possible, going a stage further with them is on an 0800 number so to press tha's spent nowt.

47kg Propane bottles are ball park £38'ish shop around.

End of the day your determined by the sound of it to cook by wire :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back