Calculating boiler size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been checking out the Worcester Greenstar range and whilst I will get a proper Corgi guy in to fit it I would like to know how to work out what size boiler. There are a couple of web sites that provide a calculator and they tell me around 14.5KW.

I know I can check my curent one but I have added a loft conversion with 2 rooms. The current boiler seems to cope well so I guess I could just use that size. Is it true that too big a boiler is as inefficient as one that is too small ?

Oh, I have an unvented presserised system. Does this change my type of boiler ?

Sponsored Links
Most boilers can be range rated down with a pot on the pcb or by electronic controls, which your installer can enquire about from the manufacturer if he is intelligent enough.

Therefore go one size up get it ranged down, the cost difference is usually about £30.

The only proviso being that the gas pipesizing excercise has to be for the highest possible rating of the boiler. If your installer has the intelligence to pipesize.

You might wander why I am being so derogatory about installers? 1 in 3 boilers I come across were adequately sized or pipesized, and most have dodgy flue positions. But that's all about to change as off duty firemen can't get away with it any longer with notification and Rockweiler buyers solicitors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back