Calculating what i need to sort out my stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Found this forum through google and it looks really informative so here goes.

My staircase in my house needs something doing to it, it is sturdy enough but needs a refurb.

The stairs run along a wall (straight up, no turns spirals etc) with no handrails or banisters( just an open riser ). At the top of the stairs there is a 90deg angle onto the landing there is a post at either end of the landing (one on the 90 deg angle and one bolted onto the airing cupboard. Running inbetween these is two sections of wood, a wide one at the bottom and a long piece of 8x1 at the top.

I would like to fit a wall rail and also change the upstairs landing bit to a rail with spindles .

kind of like this
stairs.jpg

But am having difficulty figuring out how many spindles i would need.

I would also have to probably cut out the post and replace it.

Can anyone give me any guidance on this please?

Sponsored Links
Number of spindles will depend on the size of the spindle (size of square end) 27, 32, 41mm are common sizes. And if they are straight or turned. as you must not have a spacebigger than 100mm betwen spindles so straignt ones will have a 100mm max gap whereas turned ones because they are thinner in the center will possibly need an 80mm gap at the base.

I suggest you send for a catalogue from Richard Burbidge which shows all the stairparts available and what parts are required for various turns & landings.

Jason

i have decided on looking at getting 32mm georgian spindles which are fluted. so i will have to measure from the thinnest point in each. Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
OOI, I can't see that spindles have any strength when they are retro-fitted to an existing stairway - is that right or is there a clever way of doing it?

JD do you mean the newels or the spindles :?: I think you mean newels.

Drill a 50mm hole into the sawn off newel post, adjust the fox wedge on the spigot of the new post until its a tight fit in the hole, loads of glue then tap it into the hole. Done right it will be just about as ridgid as a solid post.

Problems start if the hole is drilled oversize or goes off line then has to be straightened up making it oval shaped.

Jason

I did mean the spindles :LOL:

But what's a "fox wedge?"

JohnD said:
I did mean the spindles :LOL:

But what's a "fox wedge?"

A wedge that is put in a cut in a dowel or tenon which will then make thedowel/tenon flair out like a foxs tail when it is "banged" into place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back