Calibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

I'm looking into buying a insulation/continuity tester from ebay but have a couple of questions Im hoping you may be able to help with please.

1/ how often does this type of test equipment require calibrating and does the test equipment need any form of document with it , if it needs calibrating once received ?

2/ if im buying a brand new ins/cont tester from ebay for example ' still in the box never been opened' that states it has a certificate of conformity does this mean it has been calibrated ? If it has been in the box for 3 years would the calibration be valid ?

Many thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
A certificate of conformity is NOT a calibration certificate.

Most equipment does not come with a calibration certificate, which, like an MOT, is valid only on the day of issue.
Annual calibration is recommended and the calibration certificate will be several pages long, with test results and information about the equipment used to carry out the calibration.

.thanks for that . If i receive the item with no docs can i still have it calibrated? Im just wondering if i will need any serial number etc although id think it would be on the tester

You should be able to get the tester calibrated. I would recommend going along to one of the days at a wholesaler where the calibration company can do it on the spot. I would never let mine out of my sight (Mate did this once and tester has never been the same since!)

I check mine monthly on a checkbox and run EFLI and RCD tests at home on dedicated socket, recording results. This is good enough for NIC and cheaper/safer than sending it off all the time.

SB

Sponsored Links
I have mine done yearly. A local company does it for £26. I get a sticker on my meter, a calibration certificate and another sheet with the applied test voltage/current/resistance and the actual reading.

Hi , im pondering over buyin a loop tester from ebay , it has a calibration certificate til oct 08 , if this is the case am i naive to presume this will be in full working order. Im a firm believer in if it sounds to good to be true..... Cheers ste

Which one are you looking at? The only person who can say if it is working is the seller, if you are looking at an efli tester then one with a non-trip setting for RCDs is always a bonus. How much are you looking to spend? If you are after bnib stuff then take a look at http://www.isswww.co.uk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back