Calling all jointers, current and ex-DNO chaps etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My DNO has been repairing a cable at the end of my road, and I was having a peek.

It looks pretty tatty, and as we are TN-S, I was interested in the state of the cable sheath.

I didn't go into the hole to poke at it, and I think that most of the tattiness I can see is tape wound round the cable, but I can't be sure.

Here are some pics:

Should I be concerned?

Sponsored Links
1; hasnt put the lid on the joint
2; has cut the hole on the joint too big

3; looks like a repair or they changed the cutout in the property and this is the break point

4; its an indervdual house supply not the main

5;its probrably 70 years old

6; that is indeed the steel tape armour that is degraded

7; why are you concerned, even if it was a pig of a job they wont even listen to a sparks oppinion let alone yours

and lastly, its under the ground so it poses little risk, it will probrably fail within the next 20 years if thats what your asking but the resin joints they use dont actuly stick to lead that well so all the joints they are using on lead cables at the moment will allow ingress of water within 10 years and most will fail within 20, and i know that ive been told it by 2 different guys in 2 different areas in the last month :confused:

You might be better posting this at s/f , that Sinewave person is Ex-DNO IIRC

Sponsored Links
supersparky said:
1; hasnt put the lid on the joint
Waiting for compound to cure?

4; its an indervdual house supply not the main
Yes, but everybody's will be in the same state.

5;its probrably 70 years old
Houses are all 50 years old.

6; that is indeed the steel tape armour that is degraded
Deep joy.

7; why are you concerned, even if it was a pig of a job they wont even listen to a sparks oppinion let alone yours
'cos my supply earth relies on the integrity of that armour back to the star point of the substation transformer.

and lastly, its under the ground so it poses little risk, it will probrably fail within the next 20 years if thats what your asking but the resin joints they use dont actuly stick to lead that well so all the joints they are using on lead cables at the moment will allow ingress of water within 10 years and most will fail within 20, and i know that ive been told it by 2 different guys in 2 different areas in the last month :confused:
Looks like some kind of mastic around the ends of the joint.

no point, even if you saw something you dident like you cant do anything about it
I could write to the DNO, asking for a reply in writing as to whether they are confident that the cable armour is providing a sound earth....

no, the compound dries under soil/sealed its a 2 part resin.

everyones will possibly be in the same state, not 100% they will, the one in question has been nocked about big time

so houses are 1956 build, well, im currently on a job with a 1930s service cable, still fine

and, NO your earth does NOT rely on the armour tape, it relys on the lead sheath which is under the armour/bitumen/armour/bitumen layer

and aside from that, its effectivly a gigantic earth spike

plus, this is the reason for periodic testing

its also not mastic it looks like duct putty :rolleyes: either way its a bodge, the jointer must have been new or something or he had a dodgey shell to use, cos they usualy use tape because the gap is usualy only a few mm

also, writing a letter will get you nothing, they will give you a reply something along the lines of "thank you for the concern mr bas we do undertake inspection of our supply cables blah blah blah thank you for your intrest after a breif company policy and how they value your safety

its like this with EDF:

You have a problem, they will fix it
if its not causing a problem they wont

i phone em for cut out changes if the cutout is old cast iron, they come out within 2 weeks and jobs done for me, they even ask me to renew the tails between the cutout and meter with 25mm!!! i do it for a hastle free life!

even if i phoned em and said dont like the look of your joint mate.....nothing would be done....

if you want action call maintenance and say theres a joint at the end of your road and as you were walking past at 9 pm with doggy you saw smoke comming off the cable

then you might get somone within an hour, however, thats as far as it will go if its not smoking when he gets there :cry:

infact, i know of a case when a spark complained about the haigh earth reading on a tn-s they replaced a section of cable to the cutout and declaired it as a TT :LOL: :LOL:

recently, i asked for a cutout change, they came out 2 weeks later, dug a section of cable outside, through concrete drive to cut the cable so it was a dead cutout change, when they were digging they hit their own cable, went and sat in the van, manager came out, took a picture, they did the job and joined teh cable, next day decided concrete would take too long so re-enstated the concrete drive with tarmac....

did you also know that if an electricity pole is on your land without a wayleve they will enforce a retrospective order and get one which again leaves you the under dog

dont mean to sway off topic but you really are wasting your time :(

get an EFLI meter on your cutout and if its high complain it will be fixed, if its low, leave it, your in london i beleve so not likly to be more than 200 meters from a sub station

Just check your Ze every 6m, Ban!!

> 0.8 merits a call to the DNO.

They did our gas mains here a couple of years back, and managed to sever my water pipe, the electricity cable AND (this is the stupid bit!!) THEIR OWN gas pipe..... :rolleyes:

Our road has a greenish gravel coating then the drainage grids and between the drainage grids and kerb, a concrete strip.

When UU came to fix the cable, they jointed it close to the kerb, and the joint could not have been more than 2" below the surface of the concrete....

When I pointed out it should be a mite deeper, they told me to, "**** ***, *** *********** ****-***** ****!"

Oh, well. I tried. Just keep any eye on my Ze.

They use the non-setting compound either end of the joint to seal the transition from boat-shell to cable. They do this in our area on all joints, it's especially important on rough which wont seal well to the boat-shell.

It's belts and braces really - for the most part, holes are backfilled long before the resin has chance to go off, so they can't inspect it the next day etc.

securespark said:
When I pointed out it should be a mite deeper, they told me to, "**** ***, *** *********** ****-***** ****!"

go on . . . . . does the first word rhyme with duck?

Each word of the insult rhymes with each of the following, in that order!!

duck

cough

stew

grass (said southern way!)

waste

mat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back