cam belt check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a kia shuma 1.5 sx auto which is overdue on cam belt change i have to go on a long trip are there any warning signs it is about to go and can i check it before i leave.
thanks

Sponsored Links
How overdue is it?
Not really any way to tell if it's going to go. You can whip off the belt cover and make sure the teeth aren't worn, but it's a case of they go when they go, sometimes 50,000 miles sometimes 150,000!

kev48 said:
i have a kia shuma 1.5 sx auto which is overdue on cam belt change i have to go on a long trip are there any warning signs it is about to go and can i check it before i leave.
thanks
its done 64,000 should have been changed around 54,000, thanks for reply

As someone who has been caught twice with a broken cambelt and smashed the engine both times, don't take a chance. If you can get it done you have piece of mind. (First time Toyota main dealer serviced from new (by previous owner). I got it at 120k, belt snapped smashing camshaft. When my brother who helped replace it saw the old one it was about 1/4 the width of the new one. He reckoned it had never been changed. Service book showed 2 changes. Dealer had since gone bust!!)

Sponsored Links
we've repaired at least 2 shuma engines with broken belts. would have to check the records but if memory works, i don't think they were that far over the interval.

not a huge job to replace (before it breaks) - around 2 hours

Back