Cam Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have a Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.2 1994, is there an easy way of telling if the cam belt is broken, as car will not start want to make sure before we keep turning over as when engine is turned over it sounds different. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
If this is the single cam jobby I think there are only 2 bolts holding the top belt cover on - but you may have to lift the rocker cover up too. Unless you can see any valve gear through the oil filler hole then I'd pop the top cover off.
Do I detect impending doom? This engine has a balancer shaft belt too, if I remember.
John :)

Take off the oil filler cap and look down the hole. You should see the cam. Get someone to turn the engine over and if the cam does not turn the belt has gone.

i would take the belt cover off and have a look, you should not attempt to turn the engine over on the starter any more or you risk doing more damage.

Sponsored Links
He's already cranked it to death like anybody else would who did not know anything. Damage already done.

He's already cranked it to death like anybody else would who did not know anything. Damage already done.
At least he made sure the damage was total, it amazes me that some people have difficulty diagnosing a catastrophic failure.

If the engine is turning over much faster than normal - that's what it will be I'm afraid.

Peter

If the engine is turning over much faster than normal - that's what it will be I'm afraid.

Peter

Those were the precise indications i had when my belt went on my old Sierra. Just to clarify, i also turned the engine over with a wrench on the crank pulley.

Just an update it was not the cam belt, apparentley Honda suffer with a problem where the bores flood with fuel so the car won't start and it reduces compression and can sound like cambelt failiure. Anyway thanks for your input lads and the car is running fine now.

Thanks for the feedback BB - your car has been 'flooding' due to excess fuel during the start up period. Its always a good idea not to start up the motor and switch it off again in a matter of seconds (driving into the garage, etc) when the engine is clay cold. Keep it running for a good minute or so.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back