camping hook up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post.

Looking to use a electric hook up at a camp site this summer. Will be a 16a one rather than a 32a motorhome one.

I have a 16a commando plug, some slightly thicker than usual three core flex and a heavy duty 4 gang socket with its own 13a fuse.

Only going to be using it for a five minute hairdryer blast and maybe a (supervised) charge of a mobile but was looking for some feedback that it would be suitable and not blow anything?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its a camp site. Don't the distribution posts have dual pole rcd protection these days by law?

Its a camp site. Don't the distribution posts have dual pole rcd protection these days by law?
Some camp site owners / managers are un-aware of the regulations and other safety related matters connected with electrics on camp sites. So assuming there is double pole and operational RCD protection in place might be an assumption too far

Sponsored Links
Some camp site owners / managers are un-aware of the regulations and other safety related matters connected with electrics on camp sites. So assuming there is double pole and operational RCD protection in place might be an assumption too far

Though I've yet to come across a site that doesn't have RCD protection.

To be honest the commercially produced item with an integral RCD isn't too expensive

http://www.towsure.com/product/Camping_Site_Mains_Supply_Unit_3_Outlet
A search will find others on line I'm sure

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-89301-16-Amp-In-Line-RCD/dp/B000PJDTUE/ref=pd_cp_diy_2

with the kit the OP already has

Some site limit the amount of current that you can have.
Your hairdryer may be more than the limit, you would need to ask. But each site outlet has an individual MCB that means you cannot take more.

But, crikey, you are CAMPING!!,
Just wash your hair and run around a bit in the sunshine.

Some site limit the amount of current that you can have.

The vast majority of UK sites allow 16A, some it is 10A which in either case will operate a hairdryer.
A very small minority only allow 6A, (1380W @230V) but with the curve of a B class MCB they will carry probably 8.5A (1973W @230V) long enough to dry someones hair. Most of the 6A sites are across the Channel though and even there are in the minority.

Now it is fair to say that hairdryers have ratings up to about 2400W, but they also have a low 1/2 heat setting so could easily be used in any of the supply capacity situations.

Though as a friend on mine discovered when she visited from the USA, just purchasing an adaptor and trying to use her hairdryer in the UK was not a good idea. On full power it was rather too powerful!!
(She soon realised she should have asked me for advice)

But, crikey, you are CAMPING!!, Just wash your hair and run around a bit in the sunshine.
There may be a 'gender issue' here :)

Back in the 70s, I made a valliant attempt to take my fairly new wife camping. In those days, 'Carmen rollers' were all the rage for (female) hair. The rollers themselves were plastic (nylon?) with a metal tube inside, and they were normally heated electrically, with a 'base unit' with multiple heated metal rods, over which one slipped the rollers. There was no prospect of being able to heat them electrically whilst camping, but SHMBO only agreed to the camping trip if the 'issue' could be resolved. I therefore have happy memories of heating up the rollers in a saucepan of water on a Camping Gas stove in some midge-ridden Scottish camping site :)

Kind Regards, John

There may be a 'gender issue' here

there may well be, on another site I often see folks asking the question about using a hairdryer from a 12V battery.
Yes it can be done by using an inverter or even a 12V hairdryer. but that the battery will soon go flat does surprise some

there may well be, on another site I often see folks asking the question about using a hairdryer from a 12V battery.
Yes it can be done by using an inverter or even a 12V hairdryer. but that the battery will soon go flat does surprise some
Indeed. Even 'back then', I had inverters, but no bigger than a couple of hundred watts or so (basically for 'electronic' things) - but even they would often flatten a (less than new!) 70s car battery much faster than one might think/hope!

Kind Regards, John

My wife has simple answer "If not enough power we don't camp there" often means we pay more for a camp site then B&B.

There is camping and camping with a tent the size of a living room and separate bedrooms within the tent there is no reason why the table should not have shaving mirror and 13A socket bar clamped to it.

But tent with snow flaps and circular entrance tube with ties which will just about fit 2 people then using a 13A socket bar will likely mean it gets very close to ones body when sleeping and hair dryer will melt the snow and allow tent to be blown away.

Between the two one has to use common sense. The ablution block in many camp sites have over the simple shaver socket outlet and one can often use hair driers without having power to the tent. Join the Camping and Caravanning club and things seem to be aimed at camper. Sites primary designed for the caravanner are less equip.

There is camping and camping with a tent the size of a living room and separate bedrooms within the tent ...
I'm not so sure that the latter existed in the era to which I was referring (camping was just camping!) - or, if it did, I certainly couldn't afford it!

Kind Regards, John

I think the OP wanted their phone charging too.

Can't see a problem with what the OP was intending as long as it doesn't get soaked.

A night light and switch would be useful rather than a torch and batteries.

Can't see a problem with what the OP was intending as long as it doesn't get soaked.
Same here - it's no worse (in fact, far less frightening, in many cases) than what millions of people do with extension leads in their gardens all the time. However, as was said very early on, it would be nice to know that the supply was RCD protected (which I imagine it almost certainly would be, if it was at least a 'quarter-reputable' camp site!).

Kind Regards, John

I have used a huck-up before I was pushed into buying yet another caravan and to be frank we abused it running a fan heater to keep us warm.

We even borrowed the lead of the site owner.

The problem was the tent was too big. With a smaller sleeping area there would not have been a problem with the cold.

But I also remember spending the night on new years day on Snowdon with our guys fastened to the hotel and that tent would not have been safe with power. The zip froze with the condensate and we had to resort to licking the zip to undo it. OK a few years ago around 1965 I was daft then but to just say OK without some limitations would be daft like I was.

In a tent where living and sleeping are segregated I see no problem, but I do see a problem with a basic 2 man/woman tent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back