camping hook up

I appreciate not all sites are to the same standard, but all the one I have been to have had RCD back-up and a minimum 10A supply.

The lead I have is one of these, bought on special for £30, plus I also have an extension.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-reviews/mobile-mains-kit-p155317

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mains-lead-25m-p155388

And one of these comes in handy too sometimes:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mains-uk-conversion-lead-p155315

Or one for the Continent:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mains-continental-conv-ld-p155368

Strangely, they don't make one for the incontinent... maybe it's because electricity and water don't mix?

Sponsored Links
You guys need to come camping with us!

'Ere indoors demands:

Fridge (compressor type, not peltier)
Microwave
Kettle
LCD TV with DVD player
Blow up sofa
Flushing toilet
Teriyaki grill
Two ring electric cooker
Vacuum cleaner

Well, fridge, kettle, cooker and grill can be taken care of with gas. You can't really run two rings off an EHU.

The flushing loo would have to be provided by the site.... ;)

Sponsored Links
Well, fridge, kettle, cooker and grill can be taken care of with gas. You can't really run two rings off an EHU.

You can't run a compressor fridge off gas.

You can't run a compressor fridge off gas.
A compressor fridge needs to be kept upright and once moved normally has to be left for at least an hour before returning power. OK there are specials like used in cool storage delivery vans but standard domestic compressor fridges are really useless in something that is moving around. The absorption and peltier fridge are far better suited for caravan and camping then main thing is silent. I would be rather upset at hearing a fridge motor starting up all the time.

Even the absorption does not like being tilted great for caravan with tent really has to be peltier type.

A compressor fridge needs to be kept upright and once moved normally has to be left for at least an hour before returning power. OK there are specials like used in cool storage delivery vans but standard domestic compressor fridges are really useless in something that is moving around. The absorption and peltier fridge are far better suited for caravan and camping then main thing is silent. I would be rather upset at hearing a fridge motor starting up all the time.

Even the absorption does not like being tilted great for caravan with tent really has to be peltier type.

True - I do leave the fridge a while before powering it back up on site. And we only take the compressor fridge along for the 2 week summer camping holiday (the rest of the time, its my beer fridge :)). We do have a peltier type fridge but, to be honest, it just hasn't got the umph. Peltier effect is only good for a temperature difference of around 20 degrees at the most.... so if its 28/29/30 ish deg inside the tent then the peltier fridge would be heading for 10 deg inside... that's no good.

We've also discovered that the peltier fridge cant really cool anything. It will maintain the temperature if produce is pre-chilled & then placed inside it but if you place something like, 3 or 4 cans of soft drink inside it then the temperature rises & it cant really cope.

In a previous life, when I worked on the (music) festival circuit, we had a standard domestic type fridge in the back of our 16 tonne truck. That was always being bounced around & I never bothered waiting for several hours after we arrived on site before powering it up. When that finally got replaced it was because it was physically trashed not because of compressor failure. So, although I know all the instructions/advice is to wait I've never experienced a failure by not waiting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back