Camray 3 Boiler output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have acquired a Camray 3 90/130 boiler after moving house. It seems to be in good condition although no manuals came with it. It has a Riello 40 G5X burner with a marked oil rate range of 2.3 to 5 kg/hr.

The boiler seems too powerful for the house, which is well insulated, and I should like to the get the output down to no more than 90,000 BTUs/hr, or preferably even 80,000 (which is about 2.3 kg/hr).

Is this possible? What information and bits do I need? I presume I will have to get a professional to make the presure adjustments etc. but I want to be able to be clear to him about what I want out of the job.

Sponsored Links
youll need to get someone in. to do the adjustment. i cant see why you want to adjust it...its when its under rated you need to worry. if its working ok. i would leave it.

riello do a good cd rom with all the tech information on burners, just ring em. its 01480 432144

90,000 btu/h is 2.3kg/h at 95% efficiency so this is unlikely. Burners are designed to operate over a given range, if you want to go outside the envelope, you could have problems. If it was possible to run them at a lower output, the manufacturers would be quite happy to sell a one-size-fits-all burner. Ring Riello's technical dept and ask, since Boulter no longer exist.

Thanks for the feedback - I will certainly contact Riello. I was thinking of 2.3kg/hr giving me 80,000BTU/hr (84% eff) but appreciate this is low for the boiler body.

I should have said at the outset that my motivation is to limit my fuel bills, which seem alarmingly higher than at my previous property, which had an 80,000 BTU/hr boiler, whereas I suspect my present one is running at 110,000 BTU/hr if it has been set at mid range (is that what usually happens?).

Sponsored Links
It's the heat losses from the building that costs the fuel, not the size of the boiler. You will use (n)kWh over 24 hours to heat the building. It could be provided by a 3kW heater at 100% duty cycle, or 24kW boiler at 33% duty cycle. The way to save money is reduce the temperature, or alter the building in some way (and this is often not always a good thing).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back