Can a boiler "take" underfloor heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to move house, so know next to nowt about the boiler there (its a Worcester Bosch....is all I know)

General question, though - what feature on a combi boiler determines whether I might be able to swap an existing room rad with an underfloor heating solution instead? Is it some function of the pump, or the heating speed/capacity of the boiler, or what?

I suppose all I'be doing it adding a load of extra pipework to the existing system, so might the extra friction cause the pump to struggle?

All the sites selling these DIY kits seem to gloos over when you can or can't use them! Surprise..not

TIA

Sponsored Links
Underfloor heating normally has its own zones and thermostats.

Biggest problem I can see is it getting too hot and not beable to control it.

I read somewhere that 50 deg is fine for u/f heating, which is what we have currently on our boiler..... does that not sound feasible?

Are you thinking of buying a proper kit, or just running some pipes under the floor?

Sponsored Links
kit. got to take floor up anyway due to damp issues. so thought I'd look into the possibilities. 0

The concept is straightforward, you heat a large surface area at low temperature, vs heating a small radiator to a high temperature.

To do this you typically pipe up into a manifold, where you can branch the pipe work for separate zones, controlled by an actuator on the manifold, in turn controlled by a room stat. The water for the zones is sent through a blending valve, so it so it doesn't over heat the floor.

Many different install options on the market to achieve this, depending on what floor type you currently have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back