Can a novice fit a diaphragm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Performa 24 boiler. When the central heating is on, I get hot water almost instantly from my taps. When the central heating is not on, it takes 1 minute to get luke warm and a good 6-7 minutes to get as hot as I like it for my shower.

Some internet diagnosis tells me the diaphragm needs changing (although I did have this replaced last February).

Can someone with a little knowledge of how boilers work fix this or does this require a Corgi plumber?

Sponsored Links
See first if the PIN is coming out to press the microswitch fully.
To say changing a diaphragm is easy is a bit like saying plastering is easy - you know, you mix it up and spread it on the wall!

You need to be competent, but you don't need to be Corgi regd to do it.

Would be looking at gas pressure and wether plate heat ex is partially blocked and how much water is passing through the hot tap per minute(too much and it can`t heat) water should be up to temp within a minute

Whilst the boiler should be up to temperature within a minute, I am guessing that the routing for the hot water to the shower is probably quite long with uninsulated pipes burried in walls.

That situation is quite common.

I expect a closer tap like the kitchen tap if boiler is in the kitchen will get hot far quicker?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies.

Gas pressure is fine, the spindle is just above one.

The boiler is situated in the next room to the bathroom on the same floor, about 4-5 metres away.

As the water gets hot eventually and the problem does not exist when the CH is on, I would have thought that rules out a blockage.

I shall open up the cover tonight to see what the diaphragm is doing & post back.

Many thanks for all the help,

Gas pressure is fine, the spindle is just above one.

Thats why I never advise non corgis to check gas pressures! Can be a severe safety issue. Perhaps its what the couple in Plymouth were doing this morning when their house blew up?

You can feel the hot water output pipe under the boiler and see how long that takes to get hot. It should be pretty warm in 30-40 seconds!

Tony

Ah, I was checking the pressure dial on the front of the boiler.

Not sure about the pressure of the pipes. I had a safety check done last March & it was fine then. But quite possible it would have failed since. But would that lead to the symptoms I am currently experiencing, ie the water eventually gets hot?

I will take a look at the diaphragm tonight & if it doesn't look like it is broken then I will call my plumber in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back