Can a soil pipe be vented like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can a soil pipe be vented below the w.c and basin entry points. I ask as I have a open ended waste pipe with an elbow on the end of it. The pipe branches off from the main pipe to collect the basin and bath waste. Then extends about another half meter to an eblow that is open ended. Can I cap this or is it a vent.

Sponsored Links
Thanks do you mean no to the fact that it can't be a vent? I am sure I have heard that vents have to be above the level of the w.c and basin entry points.

Yes any vent should be above the highest flood point on the leg (usually the basin) No you should not cap it off but it must have a AAAV fitted to comply with BR's & avoid smells but these can only be fitted if you have another open vent/soil stack to cater for positive pressure. As an alternative you could fit one or more Hepvo valves to the sink/bath but it depends on the waste system layout.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what happened to the rest of my post? Pretty much as richard says, however we have had many new build plans through that have dergos fitted without another vent in place. Never had a problem. I usually fit an anti vac trap on the basin and finish the height of the vent just below the top of your cistern for aesthetics.

G

however we have had many new build plans through that have dergos fitted without another vent in place. Never had a problem
A Durgo (AAAV) is an automatic air admittance valve only, it does not vent positive pressure gasses for obvious reasons as these will include some pretty nasty gasses including methane. If positive pressure builds in a drain system with no open vent, it will escape through the weakest points (inspection hatches, traps etc) which leads to unpleasant smells & can be dangerous in the case of methane, particularly if there are smokers around.

Building Regs. only allow their fitting as long as there is at least one open vent/stack on the drain run, check the Regs for yourslf;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADH_2002.pdf
Clause 1.33

It maybe that in your case, positive ventilation was provided elsewhere on a shared drain run such as a row of terraced houses or a pair of semis etc. You can also now get Durgos suitable for external use.

Richard, I know the regs mate. 9 out of 10 bunches of properties will already have an open ventilated stack.

Ive not came accross a house yet that couldn't have one fitted.

I thought by your post you was referring to having another stack within the same dwelling

The stack goes up tees off to pick the basin and bath up then extends for another half meter or so and then is just an elbow with an left open ended. The vertical stack that this pipe tees off extends up through the house and exits the roof of my house. Were the pipe extends after its tee'd of to the basin and bath waste can this be caped or is it a vent? Sorry I've got abit confused with what you have put before.

Richard, I know the regs mate. 9 out of 10 bunches of properties will already have an open ventilated stack. Ive not came accross a house yet that couldn't have one fitted. I thought by your post you was referring to having another stack within the same dwelling
Sorry if I insulted your intelligence but I also know the Regs & was just erring on the side of caution for the OP. DIY can include some strange preferences including getting rid of that existing & nasty looking stack completely. I agree you won’t generally have a problem with additions on any property unless you start capping existing vents but this can include the actions of your neighbours. ;)

Richard C. Can this leg be capped of the after is teed of to pick up the bath and basin. The soil pipe it tees off extends up and out the roof.

Yes any vent should be above the highest flood point on the leg (usually the basin) No you should not cap it off but it must have a AAAV fitted to comply with BR's & avoid smells but these can only be fitted if you have another open vent/soil stack to cater for positive pressure. As an alternative you could fit one or more Hepvo valves to the sink/bath but it depends on the waste system layout.

Can I not just cap the end of this leg off? as it below the highest flood point and the stack etends out through the roof so has a vent there.

Richard no insult taken buddy.

So the 1 1/2 pipe which goes to your bath is extended past the bath and then travels up ? A quick drawing would be good. How long is the run from the stack to the bath? It sounds like you may have secondary ventillation....

If the waste pipe serves the bath & basin & then connects directly to an open stack, it sounds like the “open end” is someone’s half hearted attempt to cure siphoning on the basin trap when the bath is emptied. If so you will probably get away with fitting a Hepvo valve on the basin, you can then blank off/remove the open end of the waste pipe. As stated, a sketch/photo showing exactly what you have would be helpful.

Richard C. I had a situation having to use waste for both basin and bath, and found this at Wickes

www.wickes.co.uk/invt/424903

I put it in-line, on the horizontal waste pipe run from the shallow seal bath trap underneath the bath. It certainly worked, stopped the gurgling at the bath waste when emptying the basin.

Could this be what the OP needs.
(Although not sure if I will have problems in the future, as I can see the mechanical air plunger getting blocked with hair etc. :rolleyes:)

Yes it will work, it’s an AAAV & what I spoke of in my first postl you can use either that or a Hepvo valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back