Can a wall be too smooth after sanding? Uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got some great help in the UK electrics part of this forum so I have great hope for the decorating and painting section.

I am very slowly "renovating" a house built in 1990 which has many layers of paint on the walls. I figured they could do with a good sanding, I took my sander to one of the walls yesterday utilising 240 grit paper and now I'm concerned it's too smooth.

When painting non house related items you often sand to key the surface and give the paint something to grip to. The wall feels lovely and smooth, but almost glass like, so have I gone too fine on the grit or will 240 be good to go?

Thank you for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
I normally use no more than 180 grit on emulsion.

I think 240g should be OK. Any higher than that, you risk polishing the surface.

You could always roll a small section, let it dry for a day and see if it passes the fingernail test.

That's what it feels like, a polished surface. I have only done one of the walls of the room so far, I think I might get some a lower grit paper to continue the room and maybe go over the completed wall with that too.

Thank you for the reply

Sponsored Links
That's what it feels like, a polished surface. I have only done one of the walls of the room so far, I think I might get some a lower grit paper to continue the room and maybe go over the completed wall with that too.

Thank you for the reply

Makes sense.

BTW, if you are using a random orbital sander connected to a dust a extractor, 80 grit will be fine. You shouldn't be able to see any score marks in the new emulsion given how thick emulsion is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back