Can an old car pass the MOT without a spare wheel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car is 20 years old, the spare wheel is borderline, and I don't want to get an Advisory Note for it, therefore if I took the spare wheel out, will the car pass the MOT without a spare wheel, as modern cars are even sold without a spare.

Sponsored Links
Just to add to Iamchamps advice above - having a spare wheel isn't a requirement, but if there's one fitted it must be legal.

Just to add to Iamchamps advice above - having a spare wheel isn't a requirement, but if there's one fitted it must be legal.
Sorry, but no. Absolutely not. There is simply no option to fail a car on the condition of the spare wheel/tyre. For a start off, you’d need to remove it to carry out a full inspection of it and we are not allowed to remove anything during the test. We may advise you on it though if we noticed something on it when examining the boot floor, for example. OP, take it out if you don’t want to get an advisory but you are free to leave it in, it is not part of the test. BTW, if anyone needs any info on MOT's, feel free to PM me. (y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry, but no. Absolutely not. There is simply no option

@Motman , I was going to disagree with alan initially, because we've all heard that old wives' tale before, but then I realised he said "fitted", rather than just in the boot, so he's right, if that was indeed what he meant?

He obviously means 'present'. If it’s fitted, it won’t be the spare!

We may advise you on it though if we noticed something on it when examining the boot floor, for example.
I got an advisory for "Spare tyre defective" (it wasn't, but whatever, it didn't matter) on my second van last year.
I think he just wanted to be able to write something as there was nothing else to note ;)

Very unspecific that. Should have a least commented on condition i.e. tread below limit/cords exposed/cut in sidewall etc.

Indeed, that would have been more use.
This year that wheel was being used as one of the roadwheels and was deemed to be perfectly acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Back