Can anyone help me....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.....before I go crazy, I have just purchased two new light switches for the hallway and landing, they are both double two way switches, I'm having problems with wiring them up, I probobly should not have started this as I'm certainly no electrician. The downstairs switch controls the hallway and landing the upstairs switch controls the landing and bathroom, I wired the downstairs switch and got both lights to work but am having great difficulty with the upstairs one ( also the downstairs has now stopped working since I tried wiring the upstairs ) I have posted a picture of the wires and would be very grateful if someone could tell me which terminal to connect them. I have tried doing a serch on the web for some sort of diagram to help me but had no luck and like the complete novice that I am did not even bother making a note of where the wires were situated on the old switch :rolleyes: so cant even put that one back. The photo of the switch is not the best but it says on the back...

1 (way) 2 1 (way) 2

com com

Also there are six terminals on the switch and seven wires to connect and the earth wire is in a block.
Any help much appriciated.
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Downstairs switch:
switch one to operate hall light; 2 core cable red to common terminal & other red to terminal 1

switch 2 to operate landing light; 3 core cable red to common terminal, yellow to terminal 1 & blue to terminal 2

Upstairs switch:(you will need to find out which t/e cable operates bathroom light & which operates landing light)

Switch one to operate bathroom light, (one of the) 2 core cable red to common black with red sleeving to terminal 1

switch two to operate landing light, 3 core cable red to common, yellow + 2core cable red to terminal 1, blue of 3 core cable + black of 2 core cable to terminal 2

Downstairs switch:
switch one to operate hall light; 2 core cable red to common terminal & other red to terminal 1

switch 2 to operate landing light; 3 core cable red to common terminal, yellow to terminal 1 & blue to terminal 2

Upstairs switch:(you will need to find out which t/e cable operates bathroom light & which operates landing light)

Switch one to operate bathroom light, (one of the) 2 core cable red to common black with red sleeving to terminal 1

switch two to operate landing light, 3 core cable red to common, yellow + 2core cable red to terminal 1, blue of 3 core cable + black of 2 core cable to terminal 2

Sounds good to me.

Don't forget the 'thanks' button if it works, upside01 :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back