Can anyone tell me exactly what this is under a manhole cover?

CEGB did not do substations, and was not National Grid.

It was power generation stations before Thatcher sold off national assets.

Is there any sign of a dam, or big chimneys? Any pylons?

It could also have been a materials depot, though they are usually next to large roads.

Sponsored Links
I thought that CEGB basically gained control and expanded the national grid from 1957?

Screenshot_20221024-095751_Chrome.jpg

....and if anyone is interested - here's an interesting pamphlet about the story of the CEGB, released on its demise (link to download page - file is 46MB):

Oil injection points perhaps, to seal the dead cable ends from drawing moisture. You've found one end of a cable set, now where's the other - a nearby substation maybe. The background view doesn't suggest an industrial site. As has been mentioned, was this part of a cold-war contingency supply for a secret bunker that you haven't yet located. Interesting that the phase colours of B-R-Y don't follow the convention of R-Y-B Centainly not the supply to an ROC post as they were generally self powered

They look like MV terminations I have seen years ago, the apparent absence of a neutral still points me in the sub station direction

Sponsored Links

It could also have been a materials depot, though they are usually next to large roads.
The Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) was responsible for electricity generation, transmission and bulk sales in England and Wales from 1958 until privatisationof the electricity industry in the 1990s.[1]

All the substations in our area had CEGB plaques then SEEBoard plaques added

Oil injection points perhaps, to seal the dead cable ends from drawing moisture. You've found one end of a cable set, now where's the other - a nearby substation maybe. The background view doesn't suggest an industrial site. As has been mentioned, was this part of a cold-war contingency supply for a secret bunker that you haven't yet located. Interesting that the phase colours of B-R-Y don't follow the convention of R-Y-B Centainly not the supply to an ROC post as they were generally self powered
Definitely an oil injection point

On the phase layout, a lot of smaller electricity undertakings used odd phase rotations pre nationalisation and so when the national grid was formed they did keep the old phasing as was.

Just to update a little on this...

The title deeds showed a covenant allowing the electricity board to access the land to maintain and replace underground cables.

The cable shown on the map for the covenant actually runs in the neighbouring field about 4m away from this inspection chamber.

The inspection chamber isn't shown though or specified on the information.

It does show that the cable that runs in the neighbouring field along the boundary is 132,000V 3 phase.

I would guess a de-watering pump, but can only guess.
I have no knowledge but was thinking along the lines of flood prevention measures? Maybe electric pumps to drain land? Or would that sort of thing have an ICE motor?

Working for SLD pumps in the late 70's it was common to find a pump in middle of no where de-watering land, today that would work out expensive, but when a pump failed land could get rather boggy until repaired, for a temporary de-water would use diesel pumps and refrigeration plants, but for on going it was normally electric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back