Can anyone tell me what causes this?

It might be water getting in the cavity through those air-bricks that have been put in and tracking up the wall. There may be a break in the DPC that the water is rising past I would check out what the dpc is made of and if it has broken down anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have it on good authority from Softus that there is no such thing as rising damp.

Don't go there!!!
What, you mean here.:oops::oops:

I don't want to mislead anyone, so I'll state my basic postulate:

Yup - this is deliberately provocative.

Does anyone out there have any real-life examples of rising damp caused ONLY by a failed DPC in the wall? If so, please can you help me understand how it happens/happened?

Rising damp does not exist unless there's a moisture path between one or more of the following:

- floor and inside wall
- plaster and inside wall
- render and outside wall

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/rising-damp-does-not-exist.34549/#ixzz3yjd57qfv

If you can smell a musty smell of damp then there is a problem.
Odd the way some of the bricks are drying from the ground up but still appear damp below the dpc higher up ! You'd expect the opposite.

Because of the smell, I would suggest you take up the floor in the hall to see what's going on especially check where the joists are sat on the internal walls.

Have a good look at the inside of the wall below the floor near where the car is parked I'm assuming that's the hall.
I suspect the smell may be rotting wood. I hope it isn't.

http://www.dampbuster.com info on this site.

Last edited:
Back