Can builders sign off their own work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can builders sign off their own work in the same manner as electricians and gasmen? Whenever I watch Property Ladder they always seem to have a suited man in a hard-hat inspecting the structural alterations. :confused:

I'm looking to have some internal walls removed in my house. They are not-load bearing, and are constructed from the interlocking-type cinder blocks (1920s).

I will then have some stud walls erected to create a new room between the two existing rooms, which will be a bathroom. I will also have a lintel and window inserted into the external wall to bring light into the bathroom.

Now, if I get a couple of builders in to do this, can they sign off their own work or do they need to get BCO to come and inspect it?

As it's a bathroom, the loading of a full bath on the joists (near the centre of the span too!) would need to be considered, if this makes any difference to whether or not BCO are required.

My feeling is that if BCO are required regardless, I'll do the internal walls myself and just get the builders to do the window and lintel.

Sponsored Links
The only work able to be self certified is electrics, glazing and cavity wall installation.

The builder can use an approved inspector, but thats just a BCO by another name

OK, so the builder would need to get out an inspector of one sort or another to check on his work.

I guess I will be knocking down my own walls then, if it's basically the same bloke who comes to inspect it afterwards! :D

Sponsored Links
If the walls aren't load bearing then I'm fairly sure the local authority aren't interested. With the window however you really do require it to pass regs because of the structural implications, also fitting of windows to existing properties must be passed by a BI or done by a "fensa" registered company, which can sign it off.
Personally speaking I wouldn't let a window fitter within a mile of my home & would carry on regardless. If you know and trust the builder pref a bricklayer in particular, then I'd go with him.
If you're in any doubt, just phone your local authority & check it out with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back