Can carpet tiles be used with underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We need to lay a carpet on a level concrete floor for a music studio. We haven't done this before, and the idea of working with carpet tiles is appealing as it sounds easier than trying to work with a huge roll of carpet. My question, is it really easier? We need good sound proofing, so were hoping to lay the carpet tiles on an underlay to provide additional sound damping. Is this possible? Would appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean "sound-proofing" or "sound-deadening"?

One reduces noise transmission through the building structure, the other reduces noise reverbrations.

sound deadening then, because I don't think it would be possible to sound proof the studio.

That's not the point I was trying to make.
Do you want to reduce the noise transmitting through the floor so that anyone in the floor below doesn't have such a noisy environment?
Or do you want to make the studio more acoustically accurate by absorbing the sound to reduce noise reflection (reverbration)?

Sponsored Links
Sorry. I'm not very knowledgable about this. The flooring is for a detached structure (a garage conversion). It's set in the garden and we have double glazed windows in place to minimise any sound disturbance to neighbours. It's the latter that we're looking to achieve i.e. make the studio more acoustically accurate by absorbing the sound to reduce noise reflection (reverbration). The floor has already been levelled and cemented. Thanks.

Thick, soft, heavy floor covering.
Problem with using carpet tiles on top of an underlay is that the tiles may not stay in place easily. You don't want those tiles moving while you're carrying gear.
For safety and convenience, go for carpet. If necessary pay, to have it fitted.

If you really can't afford it and have to use the tiles, IMO don't use underlay. But a carpet fitter may have beter advice.

Appreciate your patience and advice. What you say does seem to make a lot of sense. So, thanks a lot. Will explore traditional carpet options.

Carpet tiles are usually installed on a tackifier ie. an adhesive that is applied with a roller to the floor and then allowed to dry to a tacky state before the tiles are laid.

I don't think you will notice all that much difference between carpet tiles and carpet with an underlay as far as sound is concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back