Can flue slope cause whining /whislting sounds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've had a Viessmann vitodens 200 combi condensing boiler for several years now, and up till last week it had been running great without a hitch.
Due to MAJOR rehabilitation work on our apartment building (yes yes, I'm American!) I was asked to move the flue several inches up; they needed to retrofit the walls with woods beams, and the flue was in the way.

I happily obliged, thinking nothing could go wrong if the slope went from 3 degrees to 6 degrees.

On Monday I cut a new hole in the wall, moved the flue up into and through it, and since then there's been a horribly whining whistling noise every time the gas is combusted. (Sorry about my lack of technical words, btw!)

I figure this must be from moving the flue? I've checked the joints on each flue and they're nice and tight. Going out to the outlet of the flue, it's quite clear it only happens when steam is released, but the sound could be either from the intake or the outlet, I can't tell which.

Or could it be from all the dust and whatnot from the renovation of the wall? They've been cutting wood and knocking out cement inches from the flue for several weeks, but this sound definitely only started when I moved the flue...

Sponsored Links
In the UK here only a gas registered engineer is meant to touch the flue.

We have equipment to test the operation of the boiler and we can adjust it as required.

My only advice is to find a suitable Viessmann service agent.

Tony

Hi Tony, sorry, I should've mentioned I'm not in the UK, I'm in France. Anyone can do an install, as long it's checked by Qualigaz, the French organization in charge of signing off on gas related connections.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they surprisingly are! Going into any DIY store here is all the proof you'll need ;)
So back on topic: could an increase in slope cause that sound? Or could it be from sawdust being blown down either tube?

I suspect it might be something you have missed. Slope would not make any difference

What looks a simple process often needs a lot more understanding why the appliance functions and components are connected in a defined manner. I would suggest a flue gas analysis be carried out for a start

Is it a modern boiler with a zero governor?

Sounds like it is and the combustion settings are off, gear and knowledge req to adjust that.

You sure you have not detached inner pipe or pulled it off seal when moving it , it may have come out its spigot,

I take it this is a horizontal concentric flue? How long is it? Does the whining start when the fan runs or only after the gas ignites? I assume the boiler has been running throughout the construction work next to the flue terminal. I'd get a service agent who knows what they're doing to check it out - might be difficult to find one from what you've told us about French gas regulations :rolleyes:

Oh, and nice photo Tony :mrgreen:

The Duke of Wellington once said of the British people :-
"We always have been, we are, and I hope we always will be detested in France." :mrgreen:

They used to say the Yanks were over paid, over sexed and now over there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back