can i change existing downpipe to a soil stack or would a long connection to an existing soil stack be better

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm planning an en-suite in the bedroom beside the family bathroom (both on first floor). The existing soil stack is outside and approximately 2.5-3 meters an existing gutter downpipe and where new toilet would come out of the wall.

The house is 1938 and i assume that the existing rain guttering connects below ground to the toilet waste and runs of to a combined sewer - would need to check this to be sure.

My question is would it be best to or can i ...

a) Have a long soil pipe running along the back wall and joining the existing stack (not particularly attractive given the length along the wall)
b) Change the existing downpipe to a new soil stack and then boss in the guttering to the new stack? - a friend suggested Building Regs would want a whole new underground sewer pipe from the toilet to main drain in street.

Sponsored Links
Rainwater will still need to be kept separate above ground, other the rainwater pipework will act as a vent for the soil stack.

If the existing rainwater downpipe goes into a combined sewer, then this should be ok to connect a new stack into to serve the proposed en suite. You would then also need to provided a Trapped Gulley at ground level for the rainwater downpipe to discharge into.

If not, then a connection into the existing stack may be your only practical option.

Building Control will accept any suitable method that complies with the Regs, a new connection into the main sewer in the street would only be required if there were no other options for getting a gravity sewer from new stack position to an existing foul or combined sewer on the premises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back