Can i copy programs off my old damaged HD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got a new hard drive after the old one packed in. It was corrupted so merely a case of plugging it in as a 2nd sata drive it appeared on as E: and I dragged the necessary files over, lucky i know!

Anyway, there is one program i want to transfer as i have lost the CD for it? Can i copy a program from the old disk rather than just documents etc? when i try it just creats a shortcut rather than copying the program!

I'm not great with computers so a laymans step by step would be great! If it is possible.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You could try copying the entire program folder from the program files folder on the old drive to the program files folder on the new drive. It may or may not work.

For example, if your program was called "killer app", then look for a killer app folder, or a folder with the name of the manufacturer under e:\program files, highlight it, press <ctrl> and drag it across to c:\program files

Unless you set a shortcut up, you'll have to run it directly from the copied folder.

it may have changed registry entries which will still be on the old drive so may not work unless you know which entries to copy over (a job for an expert)

The steps are:

1. Determine the manufacturer of the software.
2. Contact manufacturer and ask for a replacement CD.
3. Wait for it to arrive.
4. Insert CD in drive.
5. Do what it tells you.

Sponsored Links
it may have changed registry entries which will still be on the old drive so may not work unless you know which entries to copy over (a job for an expert)

That's why I said it may or may not work ;)

I've done this successfully for a few programs, but also failed with some :)

As others have said, simple programs that don't touch the registry can be moved by copying over the entire folder from Program Files folder but if the program has registered dll's etc. you won't have any luck that way.
There is a commercial solution but the chances are, it will be more expensive than buying another copy of the software you are trying to move.
Google for "Laplink" if you fancy shelling out £60 or so to move the program.

cheers for replies y'all. One program i wanted came over no sweat but there was one that didnt quite manage it.

Would it be a BAD idea to leave the old HD in as a second SATA drive or is there any chance this would risk spreading its evil corruptive bile to the new drive (in SATA1)

If it has corrupted files, then just delete them.

If it's infected by a virus, or rootkit, or spyware then just scan it and get rid of the infection.

It it has filesystem damage, then fix it.

If it has bad sector markings, then reinforce them.

If it has bad sectors owing to physical damage, then copy everything off it that you can, and put it in the bin.

thats what i thought. as far as i can tell it has surface damage of some sort.

As long as it is sata 2 and never used in boot process will i risk further damage to the new drive and or other systems by leaving this drive in?

I am primarily leaving it in to access a program i have lost the disk for.

thats what i thought. as far as i can tell it has surface damage of some sort.
If you're right then the drive is living on borrowed time.

Copy everything off it and then put it in the bin.

As long as it is sata 2 and never used in boot process will i risk further damage to the new drive and or other systems by leaving this drive in?
It depends what you mean by damage. You can't physically damage the new drive as a result of the old one being physically damaged, but if you're asking me to forecast what would happen if a corrupted file resulted in some wayward CPU instructions, and whether or not any valuable data would be lost, then nobody can make such a forecast.

The only bet I'm willing to make is that you won't regret copying everything off the old drive and putting it in the bin. Sorry if I'm beginning to sound repetitive, but I really think you should copy everything off the old drive and put it in the bin. Soon.

I am primarily leaving it in to access a program i have lost the disk for.
In that case all you need to do is copy that program onto the new drive and then access it from there.

When you've copied it, you could then put the old drive in the bin. In fact, I recommend it. Strongly.

thanks for your strong recommendation softus i appreciate your help but the only small reason i want to keep it is that one of the programs will not copy onto the new drive!

Any time i try, even copying the whole program files folder from the old drive, it merely creates a shortcut and or has files missing, which i assume are registry info.

Or would you say deal with the loss and put it in the bin?

thanks for your strong recommendation softus i appreciate your help but the only small reason i want to keep it is that one of the programs will not copy onto the new drive!
Give me five minutes alone in a room with it - it wouldn't have any choice.

Any time i try, even copying the whole program files folder from the old drive, it merely creates a shortcut and or has files missing, which i assume are registry info.
How are going about doing the copy? If you could describe in terms of keypresses and/or mouse movements and clicks, then I'm sure I can point out where you're going wrong and suggest a remedy.

Or would you say deal with the loss and put it in the bin?
No, I would say copy everything off it and then put it in the bin. :D

i have tried just dragging folders from the program files folder on the old drive (E:) into the program files folder on the new drive (C:).

I also tried dragging the complete program files folder from E: into the program files folder on C:.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Firstly, you need to copy, not move, although there are ways to achieve either by dragging, but I'm not a huge fan of drag'n'drop when doing something important.

I recommend using the right-click menu - click the right mouse button when positioned on the folder that you want to copy, and select 'Copy'.

Then select the folder into which you want to put the copy, right click inside that folder, and select 'Paste'.

This will preserve the original files that you can delete/ignore at your leisure.

There may also be .DLL files hiding on the old drive that the prog needs to run properly :idea:
If so you will need to copy these as well
Copy and paste as above is one of the more reliable methods.
Dont throw your drive in the bin, as it may only need a format to work again.

Sponsored Links
Back