Can I cover a combi boiler with a paper blind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut a long story short - my combi boiler is in an MDF cupboard and the total cowboys that fitted it have left without fitting the cupboard MDF door. Fitting it myself is a not an option and I've run it past 2 handymen and neither wanted to do the job. My question is can I fit a paper blind (also known as a temporary window blind) over my combi boiler? Part of the paper may be touching the boiler at all times. Is this a fire risk?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
if you look in the servicing and user instructions , they will tell you how far a combustible surface or material has to be from the boiler, doesnt sound like a good idea though

It will tell you in the boiler manual. I think minimum clearances are 5mm, each manufacturer has there own rules. The modern boiler casings don't get hot enough to be a risk unless something has gone seriously wrong. A lot of the casings are plastic so hardly fire proof. It will probably say no combustible materials to be placed against it.

No chance of getting the fitter back? Have they been paid?

Edit.
Was a bit slow typing. Wot he said!

Thank you for the replies. I have no manual and I don't even know what model it is. The work was covered under a builder's warranty and I've tried in vain to get them back or get someone else to fit the door. It doesn't sound like the paper blind is going to be the answer unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
Becsie: Did thy fit a new boiler? It is a REQUIREMENT that they leave the manual, plus a completed "benchmark". They must also register the boiler installation. Get onto the builders or warranty firm. When you speak, make sure to get names of person you talk to. If thy are not forthcoming, contact Gas Safe, or post again for advice. Good luck.

post a pic of the boiler and someone will be able to give you the correct advice, and probably a link to the manual

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back