Can I Do This ? If Not - Why Not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wired several lighting points in this way so far but this is not the way the majority of web sites state it should be done :

From the main lighting ring/radial circuit I have connected a junction box with a cable to a switch then from the switch to the ceiling rose.

Is that OK ? If not why not - I am quite technically minded and cannot see why this wouldnt work but if there is anyone qualified to tell me differently I would appreciate it.

Cheers.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Well, it does work, if connected correctly :LOL:

Thats the older way of doing things, before three plate ceiling roses came about.

With the new method, you have less connections, and the connections you do have are always accessible - ideal for fault finding!

BUT

With the increase in popularity of downlights, wall lights and fancy centre lights, even the three-plate rose method is beginning to show it's age. It is now more popular to wire the circuit by looping in and out of the light switches, leaving a single cable, or possible just two cables at a lighting point.

All ways work, all ways comply, the JB method just uses more materials, more labour intensive, and you end up with more joints to go wrong and get lost.

swaters said:
I have wired several lighting points in this way so far but this is not the way the majority of web sites state it should be done :

From the main lighting ring/radial circuit I have connected a junction box with a cable to a switch then from the switch to the ceiling rose.

Is that OK ? If not why not - I am quite technically minded and cannot see why this wouldnt work but if there is anyone qualified to tell me differently I would appreciate it.

Cheers.

Scott

Yes it`s OK .
However thiswould mean connecting the nuetrals in a strip connector if a single pole switch is used.The connector "should" be secired in the box out of harms way (but often it isn`t).
anternatively if you use a DP switch then OK

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back