Can I duct a cooker hood to an existing chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to fit a cooker hood to an internal wall, on an old and unused chimney breast. I would be quite difficult to run a duct to the external wall, and I am not keen to use a re-circulating kit with the hood. So I am wondering if it is possible to duct the hood into the existing chimney which would then be vented through the chimney stack on the roof. Is this compliant with regulations and is it feasible?

Sponsored Links
Building Regulations now required forced extraction in new or refurbished kitchens; 30 litres/sec for a cooker hood 60 litres/sec if the fan is elsewhere; recirculation hoods are no longer acceptable as far as I’m aware. I also believe that Building Control will not generally accept ducting extractors into old chimneys but check; most fans will not be capable of forcing an air column all the way up the chimney anyway, even the most efficient mostly have a max. duct length of 5m & that’s usually horizontal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back