Can I feed 2 showers from 1 power shower motor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my house I have 2 shower mixers, one in the bathroom and one in the ensuite. Both showers are connected to the cold and hot water supply. The shower in the ensuite is assisted by an electric power shower motor, but the shower in the bathroom is not (it's just connected to mains cold and gravity fed hot water). The shower in the ensuite is used regularly, 2 or 3 times a day, but the shower in the bathroom is used only rarely, ie, only when I have friends or family staying over. The two showers are very rarely used at the same time, if ever, even if I have people staying over.

As the flow rate of the shower in the bathroom is a bit pitiful compared to the other one, I wondered if I could boost it by connecting it to the same power shower motor as the ensuite.

I assume that if I wanted to carry out this plan, I would have to branch off from the output pipes of the power motor and feed the shower in the bathroom. Of course I would also have to disconnect the original hot and cold supply to the bathroom shower.

The power shower motor is in the airing cupboard next to the hot water cylinder. There is not really enough room to site another power shower motor in there.

Does anybody have any opinions/advice about this plan? Does it sound feasible, or laughable? Any potential pitfalls or other problems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
IS
an electric power shower motor
a pump?!
It presumably pumps hot and cold?

In principle you can do what you want, yes. I does depend where the switch for the pump is - sometimes they're in the mixer not on the pump.

A shower fed from mains cold and gravity hot will never work well. You'll have to replace the cold with a gravity>pump connection. You should not leave the cold on the mains and just pump the hot either!

Thanks for your reply ChrisR. Yes, the pump does pump hot and cold. It has input for both hot and cold supplies and it outputs both hot and cold. It does not have a switch to switch it on (I mean apart from the switched fused spur for the electricity supply). It starts pumping automatically when the shower is turned on.

Sponsored Links
I'm in agreement with what ChrisR has stated there.
It will work and may/ probably will even work ok with both showers running, but I would not proceed without seeing what the manufacturer has to say about it as they may know something we dont.
Would appreciate it if you let us know the outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back