Can I fit a door in this opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a structural opening which is 78" from FFL to the underside of the lintel. I want to fit a door/frame into it, but a carpenter I know said that an opening for a door set should 80" to allow an inch at the top and at the bottom for the floor covering and the door frame.

Basically, my question is would I be able to trim 2" off my doors to make them fit the opening?

Sponsored Links
Use solid timber doors then sure you can - but if you use one of the cheapo doors filled with egg boxes etc then 2" is over doing it!
Even with these its possible to cut one of the door horizontals away and then replace it after the surgery has been done, if you are happy with this.
John :)

Most welcome... before you get cracking with the saw and plane, just cast an eye over the door and see how much is best to remove from the top and bottom for the looks of the thing......if the door panels are tenoned, avoid cutting into the joint if you can.
Oak....a proper timber for once! Don't use brass screws for the hinges immediately, use steel ones first then bung the brass ones in with a wee drop of oil - saves the grief of them snapping :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
Internal or External?

By the way you can have doorsets made to size, either locally or by one of the online manufacturers...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back