Can I fit a Worcester 28DCi Fan myself or do i need plumber?

zmt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could anybody advise me if i would be able to fit a new fan assembly kit to a worcester 28dci boiler or would i need to call out a plumber?

Sponsored Links
In theory you need a corgi as its inside combustion chamber, Its only a twenty min job

I didnt think that i was going to go near any of the sections that were in need of a Corgi to come out? The manual states, turn off the electricity and gas and unscrew the inner plate - im not a great DIYer but i thought this looked fairly safe to do??

Sponsored Links
The inner plate is the combustion chamber front and has seals on it to stop fumes entering premises. If you feel competent enough it is a very simple job, But the air tubes may crack and the ring on the end of fan that locates into flue can be a nuisance

In your honest opinion would you say a general householder could fit the fan? My husband reckons he could give it a go but i would rather we knew more about what could go wrong before he attempts it. The manual doesnt say alot about the replacement of the fan so we are debating wether to get a plumber around or do it ourselves? With regard to the air tubes 'cracking' how can we avoid that happening and in what way does the flue ring possibly become a nuisance? thanks for your help-its much appreciated:)

In your honest opinion would you say a general householder could fit the fan? My husband reckons he could give it a go but i would rather we knew more about what could go wrong before he attempts it. The manual doesnt say alot about the replacement of the fan so we are debating wether to get a plumber around or do it ourselves? With regard to the air tubes 'cracking' how can we avoid that happening and in what way does the flue ring possibly become a nuisance? thanks for your help-its much appreciated:)

The only person who can assess your husband's competence before attempting the job is your husband. However if you want an opinion from a stranger, I would describe a DIYer as someone who doesn't do it for a living but is able and knows or easily interprets what to do. Therefore they might only seek the same type of advice as one professional might ask of another who had greater experience.

A person who has to ask questions to others about their own ability or a step by step guide to every piece of a task is not even a DIYer and so should call someone out.

fair comment, but i would say that confirming my 'step by step guide' is just a matter of being safe and as confident as we are in tackling the job ourselves we wanted opinions on anybody out there who had done it themselves. To pay a plumber to come out for something we could do is a waste of money, but to be safe we wanted to double check what we were going to do.

In my humble DIY opinion, it is very straight forward.

Make a note of the wiring and make sure you put everything back the way you took it out.
No short cuts like dropping a screw down the back and thinking you wont replace it as you cant be bothered. :eek: Make sure the inner casing cover is screwed back and sealed properly. I think the four screws even have rubber washers to seal heads of screw.

I will admit to changing a fan on a 26cdi, brand new part, when opened sealed box, plastic blades on motor cooling fan broken, so had to salvage blades from the old one coming out. Good straight forward German engineering.

It is a straight forward job if nothing goes wrong for a CORGI registered person. In the same way that brain surgery is easy for a brain surgeon.

The danger is that a DIYer does not have the training and experience to recognise danger indications or perform the safety checks. DIY is fine when its limited to something that can be done reasonably safely.

In my view no one on this site should be advising the OP to do it themselves on account of the safety implications.

I am surprised that Mod 10 has not locked the thread already. He must have gone out to walk the dog or something!

Tony

In my view no one on this site should be advising the OP to do it themselves on account of the safety implications.

I am surprised that Mod 10 has not locked the thread already. He must have gone out to walk the dog or something!

Tony

I would agree that nobody should be advising the op to do it himself....the advice should be HOW to do it himself, which he already knows as he has read it in the Mi's.

I didnt think that i was going to go near any of the sections that were in need of a Corgi to come out?

Whilst you didn't think that, the combustion chamber should not be opened by a non competent person because if its not resealed properly then carbon monoxide could leak out and kill the people living there!

For that reason I dont believe that this site should be giving advice to householders on doing DIY work which, if it went wrong, could kill!

But then I post in my own name and do not hide my identity like most of the people who post here anonymously!

Tony

Just out of interest, Where would this CO come from and how would it be produced

this is a fanned flue room sealed appliance we are talking about :confused:

a bit of a stretch there :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back