Can I fit a Worcester 28DCi Fan myself or do i need plumber?

What difference does it make if you post your own name or not? As long as you give safe advice.

People who give advice under pseudonyms seem to immagine that they do not need to be so careful about advising DIYers to do gas work that they may not be competent to undertake.

Of course in a manslaughter case the police will easily get their identities as the IP addresses are logged by this web forum.

Tony

Sponsored Links
What difference does it make if you post your own name or not? As long as you give safe advice.

People who give advice under pseudonyms seem to immagine that they do not need to be so careful about advising DIYers to do gas work that they may not be competent to undertake.

Of course in a manslaughter case the police will easily get their identities as the IP addresses are logged by this web forum.

Tony

who?

But surely you cannot be accused of manslaughter by giving advice?

That said, I do kinda see your point.

But in Tony's world everyone would be ultimately responsible for telling someone how to do anything, explaining even the simplest of actions could see you in jail for 10 years.

i don't see it myself. if i told tony to jump off beachy head i must be guilty of manslaughter, hmmm, no. if i tell an op how to replace a fan im similarly not responsible for his actions if he goes ahead and does it.

Sponsored Links
Pseudonoyms, not me you try going through life being called Namsag god did i get p#ss took out of me at school and on leaving i new there was only one career path for me

In the case of this boiler it is a negative pressure combustion chamber.. Some one in the future may read this post and the advice given and decide to do his own diy work on perhaps a positive pressure combustion chamber.. and then perhaps the seal is slightly damaged... What then? Would the average Joe know the significance of the difference or how to check for dodgy seals?

I doubt that it would ever become legal but it would be on your conscience

Plus there are guys out there who make their living from repairs, so I'm sure that they would not appreciate other RGIs advocating such repairs..

Plus there are guys out there who make their living from repairs, so I'm sure that they would not appreciate other RGIs advocating such repairs..

I am not very bothered about that because I know that only a very few people ever try to fix their own boilers.

Nor do I have any problem with DIYers wanting to do work which does not require a CORGI registered person by law.

Posting detailed advice and encouragement to do gas work not only puts the person concerned at risk but could also encourage the many thousands of unregistered cowboys who charge for doing illegal boiler repairs and use these forums to try to get information.

Tony

Tony

It is now a stipulation that when an appliance is fitted the MFI`s are left with the householder and they contain details on how to strip and repair the appliance so are appliance manufactures going to be prosecuted if someone kills themselves .
Answer NO so why would someone on an internet chat room get real people

Posting detailed advice and encouragement to do gas work not only puts the person concerned at risk but could also encourage the many thousands of unregistered cowboys who charge for doing illegal boiler repairs and use these forums to try to get information.

Tony

Tony

That is why the law is set up to prevent people from charging money to work on boilers unregistered. There is, of course, no such law to prevent householders working on there own appliance for no reward. So rather than let them stumble blindly into an unsafe situation it makes sense to give them the information they need to decide if they are competent to undertake the task.
I know I've said it monotonously but the information is plastered all over the public domain and available in most decent libraries or online book stores and to try to say that a poster has any responsibility whatsoever for information contained in a post is ludicrous.
Perhaps if our trade was a little less precious about ourselves customers would not resort to diying it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back