Can I get plasterboard that doesn't need skimming ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I think I've seen a plasterboard that is about 3mm thinner over about 50mm along the edges. Then when they butt up together, you just skim the thin bit up to the level of the rest of the board. (I'm thinking of replacing a ceiling instead of having it skimmed to remove the artex pattern).
Cheers,
P.J. :D

Sponsored Links
we had a large contract to decorate in lightwater and their plan was to use this board.but when they put it up it did not meet properly and ended up having the whole property skimmed

Its called tapered edge and you use a taping compound to bed a paper tape over the joint and the with a drylinning knife fill the recess then sand it back flush, do the same for any screw holes.
the other option is just to skim over your artex.

I was thinking about replacing a 3m x 4m artexed ceiling with this stuff. If it takes a pro to get a good flat finish even with tapered edge, I'm probably better going for the skim. I could end up getting the new stuff skimmed if I can't get a decent finish ! :eek:

Cheers,

P.J.

Sponsored Links
just make sure you use drylinning compound and a drylinning knife or caulk board and then there is no reason why you shouldn't get a good finish as its all down to sanding and maybe a bit of refilling and sanding again.

chappers said:
just make sure you use drylinning compound and a drylinning knife or caulk board and then there is no reason why you shouldn't get a good finish as its all down to sanding and maybe a bit of refilling and sanding again.

chappers, it's jointing compound/plaster ;)

Aye thats the stuff just wanted to make sure he was aware not to just use normal plaster as he mentioned skimming the gaps ;)

I have wondered about TE for ceilings. You see, with a wall, the boards are the height of the room, you just have the gaps between them to fill. But with a ceiling, it is likely to be greater than 8 feet in both directions. So what do you do where a non-tapered edge meets another non-tapered edge?

I would recommend you have the artex skimmed over if possible. ESPECIALLY if it is pre-1984 (could have asbestos in it then). I replaced a (post-1984) artexed ceiling where I knocked two rooms together. It wasn't a particularly messy job, took me a day to knock all the old one out (upstairs, so was in the loft knocking from the back of the boards) and put the new one in (seriously, that is not a sensible job to do singlehanded :confused: ), but in the end I got a plasterer in to skim it. Worth every penny, it looks beautiful. But I do wonder if it would have been easier to just patch the gaps and get it skimmed. You live and learn! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back