Can I have a new combi boiler and keep my hot water cylinder

Under the "Vented mains pressure system" table it states : No loft tanks - space saving

you cannot put mains pressure into a vented system, it would just overflow!

Never assume everything you read is correct !

Tony

Sponsored Links
You already said that...

I guess it depends on where you put the mains pressure in the system. ;)

Thermal stores will do what you want, and give you mains pressure hot water. Plus you can add solar if have a south roof.

The best stores have a small header tank.

Do a google for Telford stores.

And I still don't like the sludge buckets, but they do a job. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
That sounds fairly clear to me. It doesn't state or even imply that it is a gravity fed system that utilises a storage tank in the loft.
If it doesn't use a storage tank, it will use a header tank. I doubt an expansion vessel would be safe enough for a vented cylinder.

I havent read the whole thread sooooo what happened, has the op decided to put a new mains in, or does he/she think a thermal store is going to magic up more than 16 litres a minute ?

I havent read the whole thread sooooo what happened, has the op decided to put a new mains in, or does he/she think a thermal store is going to magic up more than 16 litres a minute ?

The Op wants a new boiler with mains pressure hot water, but keeping a cylinder at the same time.

An unvented is not really suitable below 20Ltrs/min as has been said, so the suggestion is a thermal store.

a thermal store running off the mains is not going deliver more than the main can :confused:

if it was me i would bung in a break tank and pump the whole lot...

with a vented tank with high recovery coil in it you make it hot water priority with weather comp and dhw cylinder sensor.

did a job like that and got the bath hot tap from 8L/M (off the mains combi) to 22+L/M of the pumped vented tank :p

if it was me i would bung in a break tank and pump the whole lot...

with a vented tank with high recovery coil in it you make it hot water priority with weather comp and dhw cylinder sensor.

did a job like that and got the bath hot tap from 8L/M (off the mains combi) to 22+L/M of the pumped vented tank :p

Do you mean unvented tank Mehran

Break tank and twin pump set, and blast the building with 3bar, 30-40 ltrs/min

the last job i used a vented tank but yes unvented tank most likely better. that way you can just pump cold water to the tank up stream for it.

Thermal stores will do what you want, and give you mains pressure hot water. Plus you can add solar if have a south roof.

The best stores have a small header tank.

Do a google for Telford stores.

Google lists all the stores in Telford, Debenhams, Top Girl, Next etc, but none of them have any header tanks, tank tops then yes!

You can connect the boiler direct to the store, not the coil, and use a heat bank for the hot water, and have a very efficient boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back