Can I have a shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i want to get a shower installed in my flat. There is space in my Consumer Unit which has an RCD. The RCD in the CU is rated at 63A and i already have on it a 40A cooker, and 2 x 32A socket circuits. Will installing a shower be two much?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends what the expected load is, and what the suppliers cutout is - both for whether the RCD is useable, and whether the supply is up to an electric shower.

If the RCD won't take it, then if it's a new enough CU an electrician (I'm assuming you're not intending to this yourself?) can probably find a suitable RCBO (RCD and MCB combined) and fit that to the unprotected side.

Thanks for your reply rebuke. The shower i have seen is 10.5kw (i want a decent one as going to lose my bath to fit in new cubicle).
The main switch is rated at 80A and only has 2 x 6a lighting circuits on.

In your opinion will this shower be to much, don't want to buy it if electrician then cannot wire it in.

Should be an issue, the main fuse at 63a can handle + 50% for short periods.

How often do you think you'd take an extended shower, while using every ring and oven on the cooker (at the same time).

Sponsored Links
The shower i have seen is 10.5kw (i want a decent one as going to lose my bath to fit in new cubicle).

as you say you live in a flat i take it you are going to get your water pressure checked if you plan on having a 10.5kw shower.
or worry about that when you find it don't get hot ? :rolleyes:

I am going to show the plumber the shower before i buy it so i imagine he will sort that.

Are you sure an electric shower is right for you? Does your flat have hot and cold water tanks? If so then you would be better with a Power shower, they are much better then the electric showers and the power consumption would be alot less.

as you say you live in a flat i take it you are going to get your water pressure checked if you plan on having a 10.5kw shower.
or worry about that when you find it don't get hot ? :rolleyes:
Did you mean when he finds that it gets too hot? ;)

... Power shower, they are much better then the electric showers and the power consumption would be alot less.
Would he shower for less time, or at a lower temperature?

If not, then why would the power consumed be a lot less? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back